Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
Insider's Look: The Camila Cabello Havana Makeup Collection
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Havana Camila Cabello Lip Dew
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
There’s just something about platinum blonde hair that’s equal parts glam and laidback. So, it’s no wonder why this metal-inspired hair color is one of the biggest beauty trends of the moment these days. Platinum blonde hair is a sparkling white-blonde hue that pairs well with any outfit and garners quite a lot of attention—meaning you’re sure to be remembered if you sport this hair color. And since you want to be remembered for all the right reasons, it’s important to approach getting platinum blonde hair the right way. Below, everything you need to know about how to get platinum blonde hair.
Before you take the icy hair color plunge and dye your hair platinum blonde, inform yourself with these tips.
1. Color does not cover color. If you’ve ever had your hair colored, you will need to have that color stripped first before you start the process of becoming a platinum blonde.
2. Bleaching will be necessary. Depending on your original hair color, more steps may be necessary to process your old hair color out and your new hair color in.
3. You should always have an inspo pic on hand to show your colorist. While platinum blonde hair seems pretty self-explanatory, there are actually different variations of the coveted shade. Whether you want an icy, bluish, or ivory white, be sure to bring a picture with you to the salon to serve as inspiration for your new hair color. This way your colorist will be able to sort through platinum blonde hair color ideas to find your perfect hue.
4. It’s important to be realistic. OK, so you found a picture of a gorgeous icy blonde hair color that you can’t wait to rock, but you currently have jet black hair—what do you do? Good thing you asked! It’s important to go into this process managing your expectations. The darker your starting hair color, the more work it’ll take to get your hair platinum blonde—you’re likely looking at quite a few sessions until you reach your desired icy blonde hair color.
5. Prepare for extra TLC. Platinum blonde is not only an in-depth dye job—it also takes lots of pampering to keep your hair looking and feeling its best.
Now that you’re armed with some very vital info, it’s time to dive in head first to your trendiest hair color application yet. Are you ready to be an eye-catching super-light blonde? Follow the platinum blonde hair color tutorial below!
Decide if you want to head to the salon or DIY your hair color. If you’re making a dramatic hair color change—like going from black hair to platinum blonde hair—it’s a good idea to visit the salon. Again, you might have to make multiple trips to the salon in order to reach your desired level of platinum blonde hair. A pro colorist will be able to walk you through the process from start to finish.
If the hair color change you’re making isn’t as drastic, there are at-home hair color kits you can try, such as the L’Oréal Paris Féria Absolute Platinum Extreme Platinum. Make sure to follow the instructions included with your box of at-home hair color.
As you can tell, becoming a platinum blonde is no easy task. And whether your hair was colored by a professional colorist or you DIYed it at home, one thing’s for certain: Platinum blonde hair requires lots of love to keep it looking gorgeous and feeling nourished. Below are three tips to get you started on your new hair care routine. Your platinum blonde hair will thank you!
Use a system of shampoo and conditioner formulated for blonde, color-treated hair. When you hop in the shower, use a shampoo and conditioner combo for colored hair, like the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Conditioner, which when used together can help to neutralize the appearance of brassiness.
Add a hair mask to your weekly routine. Swap out the above conditioner for the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shade Reviving Treatment, once a week. Leave the hair mask on for three to five minutes, then rinse out thoroughly.
Be prepared for regular touchups. Platinum blonde hair isn’t low maintenance—it takes a lot of upkeep. Make sure to book follow up appointments with your colorist or keep your vanity stocked with at-home hair color so that you can touch up your roots.
For another hair color lesson, head on over to our article, Rose Gold Hair Gets an Update: How to Get Rose Blonde Hair, next.