Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
Insider's Look: The Camila Cabello Havana Makeup Collection
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Unbelieva-brow Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Meet The Roots
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Greasy hair got you down? Don’t grab your oversized hat in attempts of going incognito just yet. With the right hair care products, you can help make your hair look less greasy. One ingredient we’re loving at the moment for oily roots: That would be clay. It’s been super-popular in skin care products for a while now (clay face masks, anyone?), and clay is now part of the hair care world, too. Below, learn why you have oily roots and greasy hair, find hair care products to help your hair look less greasy, and get the step-by-step routine you should follow if you have greasy hair. No more hiding under beanies!
First of all, it’s important to understand why your hair is looking greasy to begin with. Here’s what’s going on: Oil produced from your scalp can build up, causing your roots to look slick—and this buildup can even weigh your hair down. That’s where clay comes in. Clay can help to absorb excess oil and impurities from your roots. Pretty sweet, right? Ready to add clay to your hair care routine? Right this way!
When you spend major time blow-drying or curling your hair only for it to look oh-so-oily by midday, that can be super-disappointing. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Follow this routine featuring hair care products formulated with clay to keep excess grease at bay!
1. Pre-shampoo mask. Before getting your hair wet, use a pre-shampoo treatment, like the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Pre-Shampoo Mask, for oily roots. Apply the mask to dry roots section by section, making sure to cover your entire head. Leave the pre-shampoo mask on for five minutes, gently massaging it into your scalp when you rinse.
2. Shampoo. Now you’re ready to wash your hair! Try the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Shampoo, which is formulated with three refined clays to help absorb excess oil at the roots and rehydrate dry ends. After rinsing out the pre-shampoo mask, massage the shampoo into wet hair, lather, then rinse.
3. Conditioner. If you thought you could skip this step because your hair happens to get oily, you’d be wrong. Finding the right conditioner for your hair type is key, though. The L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Conditioner, which is formulated with three refined clays, helps to hydrate dry lengths while purifying oily roots. When you’re done shampooing, apply the conditioner sparingly to your ends. Leave it on for about three minutes, then rinse.
4. Dry shampoo. Just because you have greasy roots doesn’t mean you have to immediately hop in the shower to wash your strands. Dry shampoo can help. If you don’t want to sacrifice a fresh blowout—or you don’t have time to suds up after a heart-pumping workout, don’t stress: Just use dry shampoo. Try the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Dry Shampoo, which helps to absorb oil at the roots and instantly refresh hair. Hold the can of dry shampoo 6-8 inches away from your hair and spray directly onto oily roots and lightly throughout the rest of your hair. Brush it through the lengths of your hair to distribute the dry shampoo evenly.
Now that you know what steps to take in your hair care routine—and what products to use—we’re recapping with a few easy takeaways that can help your hair look less greasy.
1. Wash your hair less often. When your hair gets oily, your initial response is to wash it, right? Well, think it over for a minute before you actually go ahead and get into the shower. Over-washing your hair can cause your hair to produce even more oil. That’s because it will try to make up for what’s been removed in the shampooing process. For this reason, you should limit how frequently you wash your mane.
2. Use a dry shampoo. As we mentioned earlier, dry shampoo can help to absorb excess grease, which is why we’re such fans of this product. Toss one in your tote so that you can touch up your hair mid-day if needed.
3. Focus conditioner on your ends. When conditioning, apply this only to your ends so you don’t grease up your roots.
4. Up your hair brushing game. Always skip out on brushing your hair? It’s time to recommit to this hair habit. Brushing your hair can help to distribute your natural oils from your roots to the rest of your hair.
For more hair care tips specifically focused on greasy hair and oily roots, here are The Benefits of Clay for Oily Hair.