You are $75 away from free shipping
This Is Why Our Lash Serum Is a Must
AGE PERFECT MAKEUP Radiant Serum Foundation with SPF 50
UNBELIEVA-BROW Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
AGE PERFECT® Rosy Tone Fragrance Free Face Moisturizer
REVITALIFT DERM INTENSIVES 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Should You Wash Your Hair Before You Color It?
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC ROOT Precision Pen
Our 21 Best Hair Care Tips For Every Hair Type
EVERPURE Brass Toning Purple Sulfate Free Shampoo
ELVIVE Color Vibrancy Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner
The Best Bangs for Every Face Shape and Hair Type
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Find your next look
Haircolor Meets Makeup
Match your Brow and Hair Color Shade
WOMEN OF WORTH
Honoring extraordinary women who selflessly volunteer
The formula the world is asking for?
Learn about the science behind skin care
Browse your saved items
Find the perfect gift from our carefully curated selection of top beauty favorites
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
When it comes to eye makeup, you can always count on eyeliner to up the ante on your beauty look. While floating eyeliner and white eyeliner looks took over the beauty world in 2019, there is a new eyeliner trend that’s showing no signs of slowing down. These days, it’s all about upside-down eyeliner. A bold way to brighten up your eyes and enhance the shape of your peepers, this reverse eyeliner trend is the gift that keeps on giving.
If you love the sound of switching things up in the eye makeup department, we’re here to show you how to do just that with the help of inverted eyeliner. Grab your favorite eyeliner hues and follow along as we show you how to create seven unforgettable makeup looks.
Not quite sure what this eyeliner style is about? It’s pretty simple, actually. Just imagine if you flipped everything upside-down. Reverse eyeliner involves focusing your liner on your lower lash line. Often the upper lid is kept more simple to really let your liner shine, but that isn't a hard rule.
If you want to master the upside-down eyeliner look, you have a few things to learn. While the actual application is super-simple, the colors and formulas you choose can make all the difference in how things go. From picking the proper texture to the most complementary shade for your eye color, the right eyeliner can help take your inverted eyeliner look to the next level. To start you off on the right foot, give any of the following seven reverse eyeliner looks a try.
1. Two-toned under eye. If you have trouble choosing just one color and are a big fan of dimension, opt for a two-toned look to help give shape to your under eye. A pencil eyeliner, like the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof Up to 24 Hour Pencil Eyeliner, will work best for this.
Whatever colors you choose, start with a lighter shade toward your inner eye and a darker color toward the outer corner. Be sure to blend where the two colors converge to get rid of any harsh lines. The result? A super-soft, ombré-ish inverted eyeliner look. We can dig it.
2. Bold and bright. As seen on runways and all of the cool girls, a solid swipe of bright color is a great way to embrace the upside-down eye makeup trend. Try the L’Oréal Paris Matte Signature Liquid Dip Eyeliner in Blue or L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof Up to 24 HR Pencil Eyeliner in Cobalt Blue on your lower lash line.
3. White eyeliner. Use a white eyeliner, like the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Never Fail Eyeliner in White, along your lower waterline to help make your eyes pop. The super-bright hue will help make your eyes appear bigger and brighter for a wide-awake look.
4. Bare lid + any color under eye. When you have a new beauty trend that can totally transform your look, it’s a good idea to let it stand on its own with zero competition. Want your bright upside-down eyeliner to be the main focus of your face? Be sure to keep your upper lid—and the rest of your makeup, for that matter—relatively understated.
5. Metallic winged eyeliner. Who says winged eyeliner is only reserved for your upper lash line? This shimmery accent is a great way to hop on the metallic eye trend without needing major eyeshadow skills.
Line your lower lash line with the L’Oréal Paris Le Liner Signature Easy-Glide Mechanical Eyeliner, Waterproof in Gold Velvet, and extend the line outward to create a wing.
6. Stacked liner. What’s better than one eyeliner? We think four! A chic way to flaunt a layered eye makeup look, you’ll be sure to turn heads with stacked liner. Start with the L’Oréal Paris Matte Signature Liquid Dip Eyeliner in Burgundy on your lower lash line, and then layer the Greige hue underneath. Follow up with the L’Oréal Paris Infallible The Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner in Black and finally the Brown shade to complete your layered look. You can also add a wing or two to up the ante!
7. In the middle. If you want to give your eyes a subtle yet effortlessly stylish pop of color, the center liner is where it’s at. Instead of lining your entire lash line, this look features a gorgeous burst of color just below it to create a floating effect. Try the trend with the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof, Up to 24HR Pencil Eyeliner in True Teal.
Excited by this bold new makeup trend? Here’s a simple tutorial you can follow.
Step 1: Prep your lids. Start with an eye primer to help create a smooth canvas and ensure your makeup stays in place. If you’re all out, a dab of foundation or concealer makes for a great alternative.
Step 2: Apply eye shadow to your upper lid. Feel free to choose any color you want for your upper lid—but trust us when we say this eye look pairs especially well with a classic nude eye. We love the L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche La Palette Nude.
Step 3: Line under your eye. Whether you want to use a traditional eyeliner or a highly-pigmented eye shadow to bring your upside-down eye makeup to life, the result is sure to be stunning. If you take the eye shadow route, be sure to use a tapered blending brush to target your waterline without applying shadow too far below your eye. And remember to blend, blend, blend!
Step 4: Top it off with mascara. Apply a coat of the L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Original Washable Bold Eye Mascara, and you’re good to go!
See, that wasn’t so hard, now was it? The best part about this super-trendy eye look is that the options are pretty much endless. So, have some fun and play around with the full spectrum of colors to discover your favorite look yet!
Ready to master other eye makeup trends? Head on over to our article, Best Eye Makeup and Eye Shadow Trends for 2020 for inspiration.
Sign up for the latest beauty news, product samples and coupons
Now you’ll be the first to hear about our latest beauty news, product samples and coupons and so much more. You’ll hear from us soon.