Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
L'Oréal Paris x Isabel Marant Collection
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Unbelieva-brow Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Meet The Roots
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Once upon a time, going gray was something many women feared—but it certainly wasn’t something people asked for at the salon. Times have changed. Nowadays, silver hair is seriously popular due to its cool, modern look. Just take a peek at the latest fashion week runways and you’ll see models strutting their stuff with silver locks. The good news is, this trendy hair color is achievable at any age—all you need is a little know-how. Ready to hop aboard the silver hair trend? Keep reading to learn what it’ll take to get silver hair and how to care for your new color once you have it.
Anytime you decide to opt for a lighter hair color, you’ll need to bleach your hair first. And if you’re starting with a dark base, it could take multiple sessions to achieve your desired level of silver. Since silver hair is a trendy shade, it is a good idea to visit a professional colorist who can guide you through the process and manage your expectations. A colorist will also be able to tailor silver hair to you, so that you’re left with a shade that flatters your skin tone. What’s more, keep in mind that if you’d like to keep your silver mane looking fresh, you’ll need to schedule regular touch-ups to hide root regrowth. If all of the above sounds good to you, then it just might be the right time to try rocking a silver hue on your head!
Once you’ve gotten your silver hair, it’s important to care for it properly. If you’ve ever dyed your hair before, then you know that color-treated hair deserves special TLC. Follow these tips to ensure you are treating your silver hair the right way.
1. Use a system of hair care products formulated for color-treated hair. Bye, bye old hair care products! Try the L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Shampoo , L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Conditioner, and L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Ultra Recovery Mask if you have color-treated hair. Once or twice a week, swap out the conditioner for the hair mask and leave it on for 3-5 minutes before rinsing out.
2. Shower in lukewarm water. Super-hot showers might feel really relaxing and spa-like, but the hot water can strip your hair of essential oils, leading to dryness. So, the next time you hop in the shower, turn down the dial and rinse off in lukewarm temps instead. Your hair will thank you!
3. Embrace your natural hair texture. Pair your silver hair with waves or curls for a carefree, effortless look. Apply the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Undone Style Cream, L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray, or L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Ruffled Body Mousse to damp hair, then let your hair air dry. It’s that easy! For an easy style, throw your silver hair into a side fishtail braid—it looks fancy but it’s actually really simple to create.
4. Use heat protectant. Want to show off smooth, sleek silver strands? Spritz on a heat protectant, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Blow Out HeatSpray or the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heatspray before picking up your heat tools.
5. Schedule regular touch-ups. Like we told you earlier, maintaining a silver hair color will require a certain amount of upkeep. Schedule regular touch-ups so that you can keep your hue looking as fresh as possible.
Want more hair color inspiration? Check out our article, Purple Hair Is In! Find the Best Shade for Your Skin Tone to find another gorgeous shade to try.