Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
7 Places on Your Face to Apply Highlighter
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
With a million types of facial cleansers on the market—and even more instructions on how to use them—getting caught up on which facial cleanser is most beneficial for your skin can feel daunting. When it comes to washing your face, there are lots of questions that can pop up. How many times a day do you really need to do it as part of your skin care routine? What ingredients (such as glycolic acid) should you look for in a facial cleanser? What temperature should the water be when you rinse? It quickly becomes clear that there’s way more to washing your face than you might have originally thought. Which begs the question: What really is the right way to wash your face with a facial cleanser? Below, we explain how to wash your face along with our best facial cleanser picks.
If you have soap and water you’re all set, right? Wrong. While washing your face may seem like a no-brainer, there are a few things you definitely want to keep in mind during the process.
1. Choose your facial cleanser wisely. When you select a facial cleanser, it’s important to look for a formula that’s specifically designed for your skin type. For example, dry skin may benefit from using a cream facial cleanser, while oily skin may benefit from using a clay facial cleanser.
2. Read the instructions on the label of your facial cleanser. Although you might think all facial cleansers are the same, some skin care products require specific application (hello, micellar water), so be sure to familiarize yourself with the instructions. This will give you the best chance at achieving the intended result—clean skin!
3. Turn down the temps. The hotter the water, the more likely it is to dry out skin. Be sure to opt for a lukewarm rinse when you pick up your facial cleanser to ensure your skin isn’t stripped of essential oils.
4. Be mindful of how you apply your cleanser. Think about it like this: You’re using a cleanser to help replenish your skin, so don’t tamper with the process by applying it too roughly. Instead, gently massage your facial cleanser onto your skin using your fingertips. Consider this process like a mini facial massage!
5. Pat your skin dry. The same way you shouldn’t be aggressive in applying cleanser, you also shouldn’t be harsh when it comes to drying your face, either. So, where you once might have thought rubbing was a good idea, take this as your lesson to simply pat away excess water after you’ve rinsed off your facial cleanser and be on your way to conquer your day (or night).
6. Don’t over-wash. While washing your face should be an essential step in your daily skin care routine, it is possible to over-wash. It’s best to keep your cleansing routine to twice daily (once in the morning and night) and after intense sweat sessions.
7. Always moisturize after using a facial cleanser. Once you’re done washing your face with a cleanser, it’s time to reach for a moisturizer to help lock in hydration. Seriously, don’t skip out on this step! Look for a moisturizer formulated for your skin type. The L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Normal to Oily Skin, L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Normal to Dry Skin, and L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Extra Dry Skin are formulated with hyaluronic acid and aloe vera water to help provide long-lasting hydration.
Now that you have the face washing process down pat, you can kiss your old skin care routine goodbye. All you need is the perfect facial cleanser. Find the right one for your skin with our options below.
L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Cleansers: Formulated to seamlessly transform from clay to mousse and remove everyday impurities from the surface of skin without over-drying, these facial cleansers can be used to purify the surface of your skin of dirt, oil, and pollution. Each of the three cleansers, the L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Purify & Mattify Cleanser, L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Detox & Brighten Cleanser, and L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Exfoliate and Refine Cleanser, is formulated with pure clays.
L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Bright Reveal Brightening Daily Scrub Cleanser: Does your uneven skin tone have you feeling less than radiant? With a dollop of this exfoliating cleanser formulated with glycolic acid and gentle micro-pearls, you can buff away dead skin cells and impurities from skin’s surface to help reveal a smoother, more refined texture. Just make sure to take sun protection measures after using this cleanser—including applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher as directed, limiting your amount of time in the sun (especially during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), seeking shade, and covering up exposed areas in long sleeves, pants, a broad-brimmed hat, and UV-blocking sunglasses—as alpha hydroxy acids like glycolic acid can increase your skin’s sun sensitivity.
L’Oréal Paris Ideal Clean™ All Skin Types Foaming Gel Cleanser: This facial cleanser formula can help purify the skin while helping to minimize the look of pores. It gently removes makeup and buffs away impurities like dirt and oil from skin’s surface.
L’Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser: In the event that you feel in need of a facial refresher but you’re nowhere near a sink, keep a bottle of micellar water on hand. We have formulas suited for all skin types: The L’Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser for Normal to Dry Skin hydrates and soothes, the L’Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin purifies and mattifies, and the L’Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser Waterproof – All Skin Types intensely purifies. With their ability to gently lift away makeup and dirt from the surface of skin in one step, we have a feeling micellar water is quickly going to become your newest facial cleanser obsession.
For more tips on choosing a facial cleanser, read How to Find the Right Clay Cleanser for Your Skin Type.