Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
7 Places on Your Face to Apply Highlighter
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
When it comes to your skin, dark spots can be a serious nuisance. But what causes them, anyway—and is there anything you can do to get rid of dark spots? To help you become a dark spot expert, we’re here to share what causes dark spots along with tips you can add to your skin care routine to help minimize their appearance. While you can’t get rid of dark spots, there are steps you can take—including using certain skin care products—to help diminish their appearance. Keep reading for our guide to dark spots, along with skin care product recommendations, including a facial cleanser formulated with glycolic acid and a moisturizer with SPF, that you can use to help reduce the look of dark spots.
Ready for a little skin care lesson? According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), one of the causes of dark spots can be sun damage. When you spend time outside without taking sun protection measures, this can lead to the appearance of visible signs of aging down the road, like dark spots and fine lines and wrinkles. Below, we’re sharing our top skin care tips to help address the appearance of dark spots.
Now that you’re a bit more well-versed on what can cause dark spots to appear, you may be wondering how you should adjust your skin care routine. Consider following our skin care tips below if you have dark spots.
1. Use a facial cleanser formulated with glycolic acid. According to the AAD, glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). AHAs like glycolic acid help exfoliate the skin’s surface, which can help to improve skin’s texture and brighten your complexion as well. Ready to add exfoliation into your beauty regimen? Reach for the L'Oréal Paris RevitaLift Bright Reveal Brightening Daily Scrub Cleanser, which is formulated with gentle micro-pearls and glycolic acid. Lather the facial cleanser into wet hands and gently massage it onto your face in circular motions, then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Since AHAs such as glycolic acid can increase your sensitivity to the sun, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher as directed, and take other sun protection measures including limiting your amount of time in the sun, seeking shade, and covering your face with a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
2. Try a dark spot corrector. Once you’re done cleansing, consider applying a dark spot corrector, like the L’Oréal Paris Youth Code™ Dark Spot Correcting & Illuminating Serum Corrector, which can help fade the appearance of dark spots and discolorations with continued use over time.
3. Take sun protection seriously. Since you now know that dark spots can be caused by sun damage, it’s important to up your sun protection game—if you haven’t already. Remember to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily as directed. You can also use a moisturizer with SPF, like the L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Bright Reveal Brightening Day Moisturizer SPF 30. Reapply at least every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating. Don’t forget about those other sun protection measures we told you about either! Curb your time in the sun (especially between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., since those are peak hours), look out for shade, and cover any exposed areas.
4. Apply a peel pad at night. One of our favorite skin care products is the peel pad. The L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Bright Reveal Brightening Daily Peel Pads are formulated with glyclolic acid and can help reduce the look of uneven skin tone and fine lines and wrinkles with continued use over time. The pads are multi-ply textured, so they also physically resurface skin dead skin cells on the surface to help reveal the appearance of youthful-looking skin. Use a peel pad every night. Gently smooth one over cleansed skin and follow up with moisturizer, plus take sun protection measures in the morning.
5. Cover up with makeup. Last but not least, as beauty lovers we totally understand that you typically need to stick to a skin care routine for a while before you can expect to see results. So, if you have dark spots and have only just updated your skin care routine, you may want to keep your makeup bag stocked with products that can conceal. Start with a color correcting concealer, like the L’Oréal Paris True Match™ Color Correcting Crayons. Choose peach if you have a fair to light skin tone, bisque if you have a light to medium skin tone, or orange if you have a medium to deep skin tone. Use your color correcting shade of choice sparingly, then opt for a full coverage, long-lasting foundation, like the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Total Cover Foundation. Apply it with a makeup blender, such as the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Blend Artist Foundation Blender. Put a small amount of foundation onto the makeup blender and use dabbing and rolling motions to blend it onto your skin.
For a step-by-step tutorial on disguising dark spots, read How to Hide Dark Spots with Makeup.