Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
7 Places on Your Face to Apply Highlighter
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
If you have dark brown hair, you may think that a perfectly sun-kissed hair color is out of reach—even if you love the ombré hair color trend. As a solid brunette, maybe you feel that your besties with blonde hair can rock the look but you can’t. But that’s actually not the case! With the right colorist or DIY hair color tutorial, even the darkest brunette can find a lightened hair color that’s nothing short of flattering. Have we piqued your interest? Keep scrolling to find out how to lighten dark brown hair for the mane of your dreams.
Excited to learn how to lighten dark brown hair? Here’s what you need to know about the hair color application process.
1. Choose the right hair color. When going from dark brown hair to light brown hair, you’ll want to take your skin’s undertones into consideration. When you choose a hair color that complements your skin tone, it will look much better than haphazardly picking a hair color that you simply find appealing. Typically, if you have cool toned skin, warmer hair colors will make your features pop, whereas warmer skin tones will look fabulous with cool shades. How do you know if you’re cool or warm toned? Flip your wrists and examine your veins—if they’re blue, you’re cool toned; if they’re green, you’re warm toned; if they’re somewhere in the middle, you’re neutral.
2. Color your hair gradually. Depending on how dark your brunette hair is to start with, you will need to have your color lifted with bleach. Since this can do quite a number on your hair, it’s important that your hair is never lifted more than two shades per session. That means you might not be able to dye it as light as you’d like in one appointment. If you’re getting your hair colored at the salon, you should also take your time before booking your follow up appointment in order to give your hair a chance to rest between sessions.
3. Consider DIY dyeing. Never dyed your hair at home before? You’re in luck! When you’re a hair color newbie, it’s easier to achieve light brown color. Need some hue inspiration? Try the L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference in Light Brown.
Once you have lightened your dark brown hair, you may want to consider switching up your hair care routine to help keep your hair looking and feeling its best. These five tips are worth adding to your beauty arsenal!
1. Use a system of products formulated for color-treated hair. Look for a system of shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask formulated for colored hair. Try the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Color Vibrancy Intensive Protecting Shampoo, L’Oréal Paris Elvive Color Vibrancy Intensive Protecting Conditioner, and L’Oréal Paris Elvive Color Vibrancy Repair and Protect Balm, which are formulated to give color-treated hair the TLC they need.
2. Conceal your gray roots. Have gray hair growing in at your roots? No problem! Temporarily hide them with the L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Cover Up, which is available in a variety of shades. The lightweight spray dries quickly, doesn’t leave any residue, and lasts one shampoo. To use, hold the can four to six inches away from your head, then spray onto new growth and partly through the length of your hair to blend in the color.
3. Cut down on hot tools. As much as you love the hair styles hot tools can create, repeated exposure can wear your hair down. Instead of skipping out on gorgeous looks, try using a hair spray to style your hair sans heat every once in a while. Try the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray to add shape and texture to hair without the use of any added heat. Talk about get-up and go style.
4. Get a gloss. Want to make your lightened dark brown hair prettier than ever? Add a gloss to your routine. Whether you do it yourself or head to the salon to get the job done, you’re to fall in love with your look.
Now that you’re a pro when it comes to how to lighten dark brown hair, it’s time to master another hair color skill. Next up, check out our article, How to Get Rose Gold Hair.