Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
5 Lipstick Mistakes You Could Be Making
VOLUMINOUS® X Fiber Mascara
COLOUR RICHE® Matte Lipstick
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
If you’re looking to change up your hair color with a bold shade that’s going to make a statement, then all we have to say is: What a time to be alive! The rainbow hair color trend is going strong with no evidence of slowing down. What that means for you: Now is as good a time as any to saturate your strands for a truly head-turning ‘do! But where should you start? What rainbow hair color should you choose? Since deciding between blonde hair, brown hair, and red hair can be tough enough as it is, trying to figure out which rainbow hair color will complement your complexion is no easy task. To eliminate the added stress, we’ve designed the perfect crash course in undertones in order to deliver your hair your best color yet. Follow along!
First off, it’s important to understand the different appearances of cool versus warm hair colors. Once you understand cool and warm undertones, you’ll be better equipped to select the most flattering rainbow hair color for you. Ready to get in the know? Follow these simple steps to determine your skin’s undertones.
1. Keep an eye out for specific colors. If you have pink, red, or bluish undertones, congratulations: You have cool-toned skin! If you have yellow, peachy, or golden undertones, warm-toned skin describes you best. Have a little bit of both? You’re neutral!
2. Flip your wrist. On the inside of your wrist, you’ll see an array of veins. What color are yours? Blue and purple point to cool-toned skin, while green typically means you’re on the warmer side.
3. Peep your peepers. Eyes can be a telltale sign of undertones, too! If you have golden specks in your eyes, there’s a good chance you’re on the warmer end of the skin tone spectrum, while blue and green eyes tend to illustrate cooler hues.
Now that you understand your skin tone a little better, it’s time to determine which rainbow hair color is right for you. First things first, you have to figure out whether you want to coordinate or think opposites attract. If you’re all about coordination, opt for a cool rainbow hair color to pair with your cool skin tone, and a warm rainbow hair color to pair with your warm skin tone. If you prefer to switch things up, get creative with opposites. To help you decide which way you want to swing with your new ‘do, we’ve listed some of our favorite semi-permanent and permanent hair colors below.
Cool shades: L’Oréal Paris Colorista 1-Day Spray in Blue, Pastel Lavender, Pastel Blue, Pastel Mint, Silver, and Purple; and L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Purple, Indigo, Blue, Aqua, Turquoise, Teal, Green, Midnight Blue, and Maroon
Warm shades: L’Oréal Paris Colorista 1-Day Spray in Gold and Pastel Pink; and L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Peach, Pink, Soft Pink, Lime Green, Burgundy, Red, and Tangerine
Neutral shades: L’Oréal Paris Colorista 1-Day Spray in Rose Gold and Hot Pink; and L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Hot Pink
So many rainbow colors to choose from—we know! The best part is that since they don’t last for a long time, you don’t have to stress about choosing just one. Why not choose them all?!
If you’re looking for a longer-lasting rainbow hair color, take a peek at the L’Oréal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Hair Color Smokey Pastels Collection. With colors like Smokey Pink, Smokey Lavender, Smokey Blue, Dusty Mauve, Vintage Teal, and Rose Gold, there’s something for every skin tone and color palette.
Hair care for bold rainbow hair colors is two-fold. If you opt for a semi-permanent rainbow hair color, you don’t really need to worry about maintenance, as it will wash out in just a few washes regardless. Now, if you choose to go with a more permanent option, that’s another story. As with all permanent hair colors, in order to keep your rainbow hair color vibrant, there are a few hair care tips you’ll want to follow—see below for those.
1. Upgrade your hair care routine. Stock your shower with a system of nourishing shampoo and conditioner formulated for color-treated hair, such as the L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Deep Nourish Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Deep Nourish Conditioner. Then, once or twice a week, swap out the conditioner for the L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Renourishing Butter to give your rainbow hair color the extra TLC it deserves.
2. Turn down the heat. It’s not just about the products you use, either. Show your rainbow hair color some love by turning down the dial in the shower—after all, scalding hot water can strip your hair of essential oils, which can leave your hair feeling dry and looking dull. Rinse off in lukewarm water instead.
3. Embrace your hair’s natural texture. Rainbow hair colors look especially pretty when paired with curls or waves, so spritz some of the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray onto wet hair, then let your hair air dry for natural, carefree waves.
So, who’s ready to paint the rainbow? If you’re in love with the look but are afraid it will be too much for your 9-5, check out our article, Hidden Rainbow Roots: How to Get This Season’s Hottest Hair Color Trend.