Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
5 Lipstick Mistakes You Could Be Making
VOLUMINOUS® X Fiber Mascara
COLOUR RICHE® Matte Lipstick
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
If you have curly hair, there’s a good chance you find at-home blowouts to be the styling bane of your existence. Seriously, why does it seem like you have the appearance of frizzy hair as soon as you shut your blow-dryer off? It’s so not fair! But it doesn’t have to be that way. We’re here to tell you that you can blow-dry your curls beautifully, so don’t give up just yet! Keep reading to find out how to blow-dry curly hair, from what tools you’ll need to which steps you should follow so your hair will look positively gorgeous at the end of the process.
Any ol’ blow-dryer or hair styling product won’t do. It’s time to get schooled. Before you blow-dry your curly hair, stock up on the right tools and hair care and styling products.
1. Ceramic or tourmaline blow dryer. Using these types of hair dryers can result in less frizz and a shinier finish, which is what you want when you have curly hair.
2. Diffuser. You know that large round attachment that came with your blow-dryer? You may have tossed it in the back of your closet, but it can come in handy when you’re blow-drying curly hair. In fact, a diffuser can help give your curls shape and lessen frizz—so pop it onto your blow-dryer pronto!
3. Shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask formulated for curly hair. You wouldn’t use a moisturizer formulated for dry skin if you had oily skin, would you? The same goes for your hair. Pick a shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask that are specifically designed for curly hair (keep reading for options!).
4. Leave-in conditioner. Oftentimes, curly hair can be on the dry side, so keeping your curls adequately moisturized is key. Keep your shower stocked with a leave-in conditioner so that you can apply some for added hydration when you’re done with shampoo and conditioner.
5. Hair mousse or hair gel. When it comes to curly hair, you likely want to add hold to your blowout. Try using a hair mousse or hair gel on wet hair to make that happen.
6. Hair serum. Of course, when you blow-dry your curly hair, you want it to look smooth and shiny. Once your hair is dry, make sure you have a hair serum within reach to finish off your look.
Ready to go? Follow these steps to blow-dry curly hair to perfection.
Step 1: Start with clean hair. To make the most of your blowout, hop in the shower and cleanse your curly hair with the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Oil Curls Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Oil Curls Conditioner. Wash your hair with lukewarm water as opposed to hot water, since hot water can be drying. Once or twice a week before your blowout, swap the conditioner for the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Oil Curls Re-Nourish Mask.
Step 2: Drain the excess water. Blot your hair with a cotton T-shirt, which is gentler than a towel. You don’t want to disturb your curl pattern, so being gentle with your wet hair is really important.
Step 3: Use a leave-in conditioner. Apply a quarter-sized amount of leave-in conditioner to help keep your curls moisturized.
Step 4: Add hair gel or hair mousse. After a few minutes have passed, apply a hair gel or hair mousse, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle CURVE IT Elastic Curl Mousse, between the layers of your hair from roots to ends to help define your curls and manage frizzy hair. After massaging in the hair mousse, shake your hair out to help your curls regain their natural shape before blow-drying.
Step 5: Diffuse your roots. Pop your attachment onto your blow-dryer before you begin. On a low to medium temperature setting, flip your head over and begin diffusing your roots at the nape of your neck until you feel the little prongs against your scalp. In order to get maximum lift, move your diffuser in circulation motions. Be sure to hold your ends out of the diffuser, as they’re more likely to become over-dried and frizzy as a result. Repeat this process in small, manageable sections until your hair is 80 percent dry. Let your curls dry on their own the rest of the way.
Step 6: Finish it off with hair serum. Once your hair is completely dry, apply a hair serum from root to tip. Try the L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Oil Lustrous Oil Serum.
Voila! You now know how to achieve your most beautiful curly hair yet! Next up, here are The 5 Best Haircuts for Curly Hair.