You are $75 away from free shipping
This Is Why Our Lash Serum Is a Must
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Unbelieva-brow Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
AGE PERFECT® Rosy Tone Fragrance Free Face Moisturizer
REVITALIFT DERM INTENSIVES 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Meet The Roots
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
EVERPURE Brass Toning Purple Sulfate Free Shampoo
ELVIVE Color Vibrancy Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Find your next look
From timeless looks to the hottest trends
WOMEN OF WORTH
Honoring extraordinary women who selflessly volunteer
Learn about the science behind skin care
Get personalized steps for ultimate results
Browse your saved items
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
In a world that never seems to stop, you may feel like you just don’t have the energy to take your makeup off before crashing into bed for the night. But it turns out this is one step in your nighttime beauty routine that you definitely don’t want to skip. In fact, you’ve probably heard that snoozing in a full face of foundation, concealer, and mascara is probably not the best idea—but do you know why that’s the case? Keep reading to find out why you should remove your makeup before bed, plus find out the best ways to do so quickly and effectively.
Sure, sometimes you’re exhausted when you get home after a long day—but makeup removal is key! When you don’t take everything off before you go to bed, it can impact your skin—and not in a good way. Here are three reasons why you should always remove your makeup at night.
1. It can lead to breakouts. When you sleep in your makeup, it can mix with the dirt and oil that has built up throughout the day on the surface of your skin and this can lead to clogged pores—which can in turn lead to breakouts.
2. It can lead to a dull-looking complexion in the morning. Got dry skin? Listen up! If you sleep in your foundation, day-old foundation, powder, and eye makeup can settle into your creases and fine lines, causing your skin to look on the dull side. This might even make you look older than you really are—which defeats the purpose of wearing makeup, doesn’t it?
3. It can block your nighttime anti-aging efforts. If you apply your anti-aging skin care products on top of your makeup at night, they won’t work like they’re supposed to. You should apply your anti-aging skin care products to clean skin for best results.
Even if you can barely keep your eyes open, there are a few super-easy ways to remove your makeup that won’t cut into your sleep time. Try one of the options below to wipe your makeup off your face—and then get some sweet dreams!
1. Micellar water. This French-favorite cleanser is gaining buzz stateside for good reason. Micellar water is a gentle, no-rinse cleansing option that is powered by tiny micelles (a.k.a. oil molecules) that are suspended in water. Micellar water acts like a magnet to lift dirt, oil, and makeup up and away from your skin, without any harsh rubbing required. Try the L’Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser Waterproof – All Skin Types, which removes long-wear makeup and is suitable for even sensitive skin. For face makeup removal, saturate a cotton pad with micellar water, then wipe it across your skin. For eye makeup removal, hold the pad over closed eyes for a few seconds, then wipe.
2. Makeup removing towelettes. Wipes are one of the easiest ways to remove your makeup at the end of a long day. Stash them in your purse or keep a pack on your nightstand so you can easily use them. Try the L’Oréal Paris Ideal Clean Makeup Removing Towelettes, which gently cleanse and remove all makeup—even waterproof! Gently wipe your face with a towelette and you’re good to go. Just reseal the pack so that the rest of the wipes don’t dry out.
3. Cleansing oil. If you love to wear heavy eye makeup (smoky eyes, FTW!), cleansing oil could be a good option for you, since it can be nourishing. (Oily skin types can use cleansing oil, too!) To use, apply a few drops to a cotton pad and dab it across your skin. Oil attracts oil, so a cleansing oil can help attract the makeup and oil on your skin and lift it off. Follow up with your regular cleanser afterwards.
Once you’re done wiping your foundation, mascara, and eye shadow off, apply a moisturizer to help lock in hydration and keep your skin happy. Trust us: Your complexion will thank you!
Sign up for the latest beauty news, product samples and coupons
Now you’ll be the first to hear about our latest beauty news, product samples and coupons and so much more. You’ll hear from us soon.