Black eyeliner is a timeless hue that can complement any makeup look, as evidenced by the way it’s been a beauty essential for years. While there is certainly a time and a place for black eyeliner, if it’s the only color you reach for, you’re missing out. One underrated product that many overlook is white eyeliner. Not only does it help to brighten your eyes, but it looks great when paired with classic black and vibrant shades, and it’s especially gorgeous as part of graphic eyeliner looks. If you’re still unsure about adding a pop of white to your eye makeup look, check out these eight white eyeliner looks that we just can’t get enough of. We have a feeling they’re going to make you a fan, just like us.
Shop the Products
Does White Eyeliner Look Good?
Any predetermined beliefs that you have about white eyeliner need to be extinguished because white eyeliner is beautiful, it’s in style and it’s great for brightening your eyes. While you may not be ready to completely get rid of black eyeliner just yet, white eyeliner in the waterline helps to brighten your eyes, making you look more awake. This little trick complements many eye makeup looks and it’s a great way to brighten your overall makeup look.
What Does White Eyeliner Do?
Like any eyeliner, white eyeliner emphasizes your eyes. It’s typically used to brighten your eyes, but it also helps to make your eyes appear bigger than they actually are when you apply it on the waterline.
8 White Eyeliner Looks to Recreate This Season
While black eyeliner is forever a staple, we love white eyeliner, like the L'Oréal Paris Infallible Grip Mechanical Gel Eyeliner in White, to add brightness to the eyes. Here are eight different ways to sport white eyeliner.
1. White Cat EyeWinged eyeliner looks fresh and eye-opening when it’s created with white liner and we happen to think of it as the perfect alternative to black eyeliner as we approach spring. If you have hooded eyes, be sure to draw your wing while your eyes are open, as this can help ensure it doesn’t disappear in the hidden crease of your eye. The key to gorgeous eyeliner is steady application, but finding the right eyeliner for your eye shape can really enhance the result.
2. Double Liner
One wing is good, two is even better. This look includes a classic white wing with a floating wing on the upper lid. Paired with tawny brown eyeshadow and crisp white lines, the look is graphic, gorgeous and eye-catching (no pun intended).
3. White Inner Corner Accents
We love a good highlight, whether it's used to fake high cheekbones or, in this case, highlight the inner corners of your eyes. Start by tracing the inner corner of your eye with a thin line of white eyeliner. For extra brightening drama, smudge it out with a tiny brush underneath the inner corner to give off a brighter look. Don’t forget to finish the look by coating your lashes with a few layers of the L’Oréal Paris Telescopic Instant Lift Washable Mascara.
4. White WaterlineOne of the easiest ways to make your eyes look more awake is by lining your waterline with a white eyeliner pencil. This also helps to make your eyes look bigger and it’s the most important step to achieving the viral doe eyes makeup look. Gently line your waterline with a single layer of white eyeliner, dragging the pencil across the space from corner to corner.
5. Layered Between EyeshadowFor a more dramatic white eyeliner look, layer the eyeliner between two other eyeshadow shades on the lid. Sweep the L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Monos Eyeshadow in Acro-Matte and Matte It Up across the lids with a fluffy eyeshadow brush and smudge the same colors under your bottom lashes. Take the white liner across the top of your crease, slightly out past the lid and drag it back, connecting it with your upper lash line. We like to think of the look as a negative space wing and it looks striking with matte eyeshadow.
Shop the Products
6. Thick Block LinerInstead of a thin line, trace a very thick, straight line of white eyeliner along your top eyelid. If you want to make your eyes pop, this is the way to do it. Use a small eyeshadow brush and go over the white eyeliner by pressing on some of the L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Monos Eyeshadow in Petite Perle. The result is basically a color-blocked white look that instantly brightens up your eyes.
7. Underline Your LinerLet white liner enhance your makeup look by drawing attention to the parts accented with white. Create a flawless look by sweeping the L’Oréal Paris Infallible 24 Hr Eye Shadow in Burst into Bloom into your crease. Then apply some glitter to your lids using the L’Oréal Paris Brilliant Eyes Shimmer Liquid Eyeshadow Makeup in String of Pearls. Create a sharp wing, using a liquid eyeliner, like the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Grip Precision Felt Waterproof Eyeliner in Black and use your white eyeliner to outline the winged shape at the corner of your eye.
8. Abstract Crease LinesLevel up your eye makeup by creating a graphic white eyeliner look. Reach for an eyeshadow palette, like the L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Pocket Palette Eye Shadow in Silver Couture, to highlight your brow bone with the lightest shade and blend the darkest matte shade into your crease. You can also use the dark shade to create a smoked-out wing across your top lid and to smoke out the lower lash line. Finish the look by outlining your crease with white eyeliner and create another wing near the top lash line to complete the look.
Photographer: Stephanie Price, Photo Assistant: Evan Mann, Digi Tech: Sergio Colon, Art Director: Hannah Packer, Creative Producers: Becca Solovay and Hannah Lee, Content Director: Shalwah Evans, Visual Designer: Sarah Duvivier, Makeup Artist: Jonet Williamson, Hair Stylist: Daniel Lutz, Wardrobe Stylist: Rika Watanabe, Wardrobe Assistant: Serena Orlando, Model: Dara Woo
Discover more tips & tricks
Keep your skin happy
Shop Featured products