Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
Insider's Look: The Camila Cabello Havana Makeup Collection
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Havana Camila Cabello Lip Dew
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
So, the time has come and you’re contemplating your next big hair move. And, as far as trendy hairstyles go, the pixie definitely tops the charts. Known as one of the most life-changing haircuts you can make, there’s a lot to think about before a stylist chops off your flowing locks. In fact, getting a pixie haircut can be so dramatic that you might even question what you’re doing while you’re sitting in your stylist’s chair. Should really go through with it? Don’t worry! If you’re concerned about whether or not this popular, short hairstyle is right for you, we’re here to help you sort through the process. Below, you’ll find everything from what to ask your stylist for at the salon and how to care for and style your fresh pixie haircut once the deed has been done with product recommendations including shampoo and hair mousse. Follow along!
When you decide to haircut virtually all of your hair off, you want to make sure you get it right. Keep the following in mind!
1. Start long. It’s normal to be nervous about making such a drastic haircut. The trick to getting a pixie haircut right is to start on the longer side because you can always snip it shorter to fit your preferences. If you cut your hair too short to begin with, however, you’ll be stuck trying to grow out your look for a few weeks.
2. Speaking of growing… A pixie haircut will start to grow out a lot faster than you’d think—which means that if you want to change it, it won’t take too much patience. It also means that to maintain your look, you’ll need to schedule regular appointments to get trims every few weeks.
3. Styling it will take some getting used to. If you’re only familiar with styling long locks, it might be a tad difficult to get the hang of styling a pixie. Just be patient and stock your vanity with a styling hair cream, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Frizz Vanisher Cream.
4. Washing and drying will be easier than ever. Washing, drying, and styling long hair can be a real process—that’s not the case with short haircuts like the pixie, though! Prepare to save a whole lot of time on your hair care routine. Score! Hop in the shower and wash with the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Moisture Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Moisture Conditioner.
5. Your face will seem more front and center. When you don’t have long tresses to hide behind, all attention will be on your face.
As with any haircut, you should never just plop down into your stylist’s chair and let them go to town—after all, you want to make sure you’re happy with the final result! Without proper communication, it’s possible that you may not end up with something you like. Since nobody wants that kind of unpleasant salon experience, ask your stylist a few questions before committing to a pixie haircut.
1. What pixie cut will complement my face best? You may see a pixie haircut on your favorite celebrity, but the same way their hair color might not work on you, there’s a chance their haircut won’t either. Typically, if you have an oval face shape, you can get away with just about any pixie haircut, whereas if you have a round face, an angled bang can help counteract the plumpness of your face for a more balanced look. Have a square face? Try a shaggy pixie that you can play up with texture balm or spray, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray. More of a heart-shaped gal? A soft bang can help round out your ‘do for a feminine, totally chic look. Your stylist will be able to help you settle on the perfect pixie haircut for your face shape.
2. When are you least busy? While a Saturday or Sunday appointment may be most convenient, they’re also the busiest due to being the most convenient for just about everyone. And when things get busy in a salon, there’s always a chance that your hair could pay the price. To make sure that your stylist is focused and not rushed, get an idea of their schedule so that you can both get the most out of it.
3. When can I make my next appointment? Since your newfound pixie haircut will grow faster than you think, it’s a good idea to set touch-ups in advance to ensure that your short ‘do maintains its crisp style.
Made the chop? Congrats! Now, it’s time to add a few new styling tips to your repertoire.
1. Add volume. Apply a hair mousse, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Volume Inject Mousse, to wet hair, then quickly blow-dry your strands, using your fingers to comb through as you go.
2. Use texturizing products. To achieve modern toughness while maintaining a certain feminine charm to your pixie, invest in a few texturizing products. Whether you opt for a balm or a spray, these products can help manage frizz and add some grit for an edgy look.
3. But don’t use too many products! You don’t want to weight your short hair down. The more products you use, the higher the possibility that this could happen—and this could ultimately end up making your hair look greasy. Remember: Less is more!
4. Change up your part. The beauty of short hair is that you can change up your hair pretty effortlessly because it’s not like there’s much hair to fall to one side or the other. Heck, you could even go partless and just amp up the texture for an entirely revived look!
5. Keep bangs soft. Since your pixie haircut is an attention-grabber on its own, pairing it with super-geometric straight-across bangs could come across as harsh. Just trust us: In this case, the wispier the better.
You have your heart set on getting a pixie haircut—or maybe you’ve already gotten one. Now you know what to ask your stylist for and how to style it—but what about your hair color? If you’ve taken a peek at your social media feeds lately, then you’re likely well aware just how popular platinum blonde hairstyles, including pixies, are. From the runway to the everyday, these sheared-off, bright haircuts are the ultimate accessory to your very best street style. Want to rock this ultra-modern, totally beautiful hair color along with your pixie haircut? Follow these five tips if you’re considering going platinum blonde with a pixie cut.
1. Set up a color consultation. Platinum may seem like one simple color choice, but there are actually many different variations to the shade. From ashy platinum and icy platinum to pearlized platinum and baby-lit platinum, there are a lot of slight hue shifts to consider—and your colorist will be the perfect person to answer all your questions.
2. Be prepared for the process to take a while. Going platinum is a huge undertaking—meaning it’s best left to a professional. Nope, you should not attempt to color your hair platinum at home since it requires heavily bleaching your hair. What’s more, the darker your starting color, the longer it’s going to take to achieve a platinum blonde shade. If you’re a brunette, we’re talking about multiple sessions—and hours and hours—of sitting in the salon chair before you’ve reached your desired level of blonde. Patience is key!
3. You should cut before you color. There’s no point in coloring your whole head of hair only to lop it off, right? It makes sense that you’d want to have your hair cut into a pixie before you think about coloring it.
4. Use color-safe products once you’ve dyed your hair. Once you have achieved your perfect platinum, you’ll want to make a few changes to your hair care routine. The thing about platinum is that it’s really, really high maintenance. Reach for products formulated for color-treated hair, like the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Conditioner. The EverPure Blonde system gently cleanses, conditions, and balances blonde hair, neutralizes brassiness, and deeply hydrates over-processed hair. Apply the shampoo to wet hair and gently massage it into a thick lather, then rinse thoroughly. Follow up by applying the conditioner, leave it on for one to two minutes, then rinse.
5. Add a hair mask to your weekly hair care routine. Caring for your platinum hue doesn’t just stop with shampoo and conditioner. Once a week, use the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shade Reviving Treatment, a color refreshing hair mask for blonde, colored hair. The mask helps neutralize unwanted brassiness and nourish over-processed hair. After shampooing with the above shampoo, apply the hair mask to wet hair and leave it on for 3-5 minutes, then rinse.
And just like that, you’re now prepared to get the pixie haircut you’ve seen so many celebs and models rocking these days. Enjoy your new short ‘do! For more short hairstyle ideas, here are 5 Braided Hairstyles for Short Hair.