Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
5 Lipstick Mistakes You Could Be Making
VOLUMINOUS® X Fiber Mascara
COLOUR RICHE® Matte Lipstick
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Unicorns aren’t the only mythical creature trending here in 2017—mermaids are also super-popular these days! In addition to gorgeous sea-inspired eye makeup looks, mermaid hair is also a totally fun way to get your feet wet in this multi-colored trend, so to speak. Defined by shades of blue, green, and purple, this beautiful look isn’t exactly the most low-maintenance. But if you want to turn heads (and fins), it could be a perfect way to change up your hair color for the summer. Here, learn all about what goes into getting a mermaid ‘do, how to get the look at home, and how to care for your vibrant new color.
This multi-colored hair hue is positively stunning—but it can be difficult to achieve, so it’s best to manage your expectations. If you have brown hair, you’ll need to bleach it first in order for your mermaid-inspired colors to actually show up on your hair. The darker your base color, the longer it may take to achieve your desired look. What’s more, mermaid hair is all about blending different colors to mimic the way the sea looks. For both those reasons, it could be a good idea to visit a professional colorist to help ensure you love the way your color turns out. A pro will be able to expertly place the different shades of blue, green, and purple to create a flattering rainbow hue for you.
That being said, it is possible to color your hair like a mermaid from the comfort of your home. Again, if you’ve got brown hair to start with, you’ll need to bleach it first. Try the L’Oréal Paris Colorista Bleach. Once you’re done with that, use the L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Purple, Blue, and Aqua. Decide beforehand where, exactly, you’d like to place each shade.
Once you’ve colored your hair, it’s important to switch up your hair care routine, as color-treated hair has different needs. Follow the below tips and you’ll be good to go!
1. Switch to a system of shampoo, conditioner, and mask formulated for color-treated hair. Say bye, bye to your regular hair care products and reach for ones that are formulated for color-treated hair instead. Try the L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Shampoo, L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Conditioner, and L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Ultra Recovery Mask.
2. Wash your hair in lukewarm water. While it may feel relaxing to splash around in a steamy shower, super-hot water can strip your hair of essential oils. So, the next time you bathe, turn down the dial in wash off in lukewarm temps instead.
3. Rock beachy waves. Put down those heat tools and pair your mermaid hair with some beachy waves—no trip to the ocean required! After stepping out of the shower, towel-dry your hair. Then, spritz on the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray. Create a braid and undo it once your hair has fully dried. For tighter waves, create multiple braids.
4. Use a heat protectant before blow-drying. Want to give yourself an at-home blowout? Spritz on a heat protectant beforehand. Try the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Blow Out HeatSpray, which helps provide heat protection and volume. After blow-drying create loose curls with a curling iron for a totally mermaid-appropriate ‘do.
5. Schedule touch-ups. If you decided to go the professional route, book your first touch-up before you leave the salon so that you don’t forget. Since mermaid-inspired hair features a whole bunch of different rainbow hues, it can be pretty obvious when your roots start to grow in. If you took the at-home hair color route, keep your bathroom stocked with dye so that you have it on-hand for touch-ups whenever needed.