Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
7 Places on Your Face to Apply Highlighter
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
A ponytail doesn’t just have to be a hairstyle you can wear to the gym. This versatile updo can be worn anywhere from meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time (don’t worry, we’ve all been there!) to that important job interview you’ve been preparing for the last few days. One of the reasons why we love ponytails so much is that they’re so easy to create—it’s the perfect hairstyle for when you want to look put-together but don’t have much time to spare. That being said, despite being simple, a ponytail hairstyle is still utterly chic. Want to take yours to the next level? Follow our guide to creating a super-chic ponytail below.
Getting a ponytail just right is easier said than done. Take these tips into consideration the next time you want to rock this hairstyle.
Step 1: Determine where you want to place your ponytail. The first step to creating the perfect ponytail is placement. Where you decide to place your ponytail will determine how you should go about creating your updo. For example, high ponytails that are level with your temples or above can give your hair more bounce. Lower ponytails have less movement but look sleek and modern.
Step 2: Brush your hair the right way. This may sound silly, but there is a right way to brush your hair when it comes creating a ponytail hairstyle. If you want to help keep frizzy hair and bumps from appearing, brush your hair in the direction of your ponytail.
Step 3: Add texture. Adding texture to your hair can create a more voluminous look. After all, nobody wants a flat ponytail, right? Spray a volumizing hair spray, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT High Lift Creation Spray, onto your hair and use your fingers to muss your hair around. If you want to create even more texture, brush back your hair after spritzing on hairspray.
Step 4: Help tame flyaways. Flyaways can completely ruin an entire hairstyle. This hair hack might sound super-weird, but it actually works! Take a toothbrush (one that hasn’t been used, of course) and spritz it with a hair spray, such as the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle LOCK IT Fine Control Hairspray. Then use the toothbrush to help tame those pesky flyaways.
Looking for ways to get a fuller, thicker-looking ponytail? Well, we’re counting down four different tips for doing just that.
1. Try a double ponytail. The key to a fuller-looking ponytail all lies in illusion (and maybe a little hair mousse!). For the double ponytail hairstyle, you’ll create two ponytails, one of which is hidden. Gather the hair above your ears to create a half ponytail and then secure it with a hair tie. Then, take the top section of your just-created ponytail and flip it forward to the top of your head so that it’s out of the way. Create a second ponytail using the remaining bottom section of hair. Make sure to secure it directly below the base of the first ponytail to make sure it’s hidden from plain sight. This also can help to make your pony appear longer. Double win!
2. Use bobby pins. Don’t let your ponytail fall flat during the day. Prop it up with two or three bobby pins after you’ve tied your hair. Slide the bobby pins over the hair tie on the bottom part of the ponytail. Place them at a steep, diagonal angle, which can help make your ponytail look higher.
3. Tease your hair in sections. Teasing a ponytail can help to make your hair look more voluminous—but how it’s done is what matters the most. Most people backcomb their ponytails in one section using a fine-toothed comb. If you really want to add the appearance of volume, split your ponytail into thirds and tease each section to add even more volume.
4. Fake volume with a mini clip. All you have to do is split your ponytail in half, stick a small claw clip inside, and hide it with the top section of your hair. This can leave you with a more voluminous finish.
5. Embrace a little frizzy hair. If you crave a fuller-looking ponytail but don’t want to put in a ton of effort, apply a dollop of the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Ruffled Body Mousse into damp hair after hopping out of the shower and follow it up with a few spritzes of the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray. That’s all you have to add definition and texture to your hair as it air dries. From there, just tie your hair up into a ponytail and voila!
Now that you know how to create the perfect ponytail, how about learning a few different variations of this signature hairstyle? Grab a hair tie and go read out article, 8 Easy Ponytail Hairstyles.