Seeking refuge from the blustery winter winds? We feel you! With temperatures constantly dropping and surprise snow storms blowing on through, it’s the perfect time for a little vacation in the sun. While the air in traditionally warmer places may feel fab this time of year, dry, desert climates can still do a number on your skin. So, if you’re planning a trip, it’s important to still stay on top of your skin care routine. Here’s what you need to know about how a dry, desert climate can affect your skin and what skin care products you should use to help keep your complexion hydrated, including micellar water and moisturizer.
how dry, desert climates can affect your skin
If you’re looking to escape the rain by jetting to somewhere with a desert climate, know this: There is little to no moisture in the air. And according to the Mayo Clinic, this lack of moisture in the air can cause dry skin. Not fun. So, whether you’re traveling somewhere hot and dry or you live there year-round, it’s essential to pay attention to your skin care routine. Which leads us to…
THE SKIN CARE PRODUCTS YOU SHOULD USE WHEN IN DRY, DESERT CLIMATES
Surely you have your regular skin care routine down pat, but now that you know a bit more about what to expect from a dry, desert climate, it could be a good time to revamp your routine to help keep your skin hydrated. Headed somewhere hot and dry for a little rest and relaxation? Pack the following skin care products along with you.
1. Facial cleanser. When it comes to washing your face, swap out your foaming facial cleanser for a gentler option, like micellar water. Plus, micellar water is travel-friendly, as it doesn’t require any rinsing. Try the L'Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser for Normal to Dry Skin, which hydrates and soothes. It’s powered by tiny micelles—oil molecules—that act like a magnet to help lift dirt, oil, and makeup up and away from the skin. All you have to do to use it is pour some onto a cotton pad and wipe it across your face.
2. Moisturizer. After cleansing swipe on a comforting moisturizer, like the L'Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Extra Dry Skin, which is formulated with aloe vera water and hyaluronic acid to help provide long-lasting hydration.
3. Broad-spectrum sunscreen. While slathering on broad-spectrum sunscreen should be a non-negotiable step in your beauty routine regardless of the climate you find yourself in, it’s especially important in the middle of the desert. Spending prolonged periods of time out in the sun sans protection, could lead to damage down the road. According the Skin Cancer Foundation, you should wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily as directed. Your sun protection routine shouldn’t end there, though. Additionally, you should limit your amount of time in the sun (especially between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., which are peak hours), seek shade when you’re outside, and cover up exposed areas in long sleeves, pants, a broad-brimmed hat, and UV-blockign sunglasses. Hey, consider this your excuse to go shopping for a new wardrobe before you jet set!
4. Facial mist. Ahhh…it can feel so refreshing to spritz on a facial spray after spending an afternoon in a hot, dry atmosphere. Easily packed and carried on-the-go, a facial mist can offer your complexion a boost of hydration to help get you through the desert heat. Go ahead and spray some on whenever the mood strikes.
5. Lip balm. If your lips are feeling dry, swipe on a hydrating lip balm. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, many people forget to protect their lips from the sun, so look for a balm formulated with broad-spectrum sunscreen and apply it as directed.
6. Body lotion. Don’t neglect your skin from your neck down—it deserves love, too when you’re in a dry, desert climate! Keep a body lotion near your tub so that you can apply it to damp skin (this can help lock in hydration) once you’ve showered. For a hint of glow, try the L'Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze™ Hydrating Self-Tanning Milk, which can be used three times per week.
For more travel skin care advice, read 5 Travel Skin Care Hacks to Use on Your Next Vacation.
Discover more tips & tricks
Keep your skin happy
Shop Featured Skin Care products