Entering a new year is oh-so-exciting, especially when you have an idea of all the amazing things you can expect in the months to come. While you may not be able to predict everything this year has in store for you, upcoming beauty trends are one thing we know a lot about before the new year even starts. This year, we’re sharing our trend predictions for 2019, covering everything from makeup and hair care to lifestyle and fashion. This way, you can start experimenting with the biggest skin care and makeup trends before everyone else even knows they’re the next big thing. Ready for a little 2019 trend forecasting? Without further ado, here are the 28 trends to watch in the new year:
You can expect a million and one makeup trends to crop up as the year goes on, but we’re zoning in on four that are sure to make a splash.
1. Natural-looking finishes. Everyone loves a good matte finish, but in 2019 you can expect to see people sporting finishes that aren’t quite so harsh. Instead of an extremely matte look, they’ll opt for makeup with a more natural finish. Remember, real skin usually has a bit of a glow to it—your skin does produce oil after all. While you don’t want to look oily, you do want to look real! To give this face makeup trend a try, opt for a natural finish foundation, like the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Up to 24HR Fresh Wear Foundation, Lightweight.
2. Updated everyday eyeliner. As you know, black eyeliner—especially when worn in a cat eye shape—is a look that will never go out of style. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t expect people to be having fun with other options in 2019. Among the eye-catching looks you’re sure to spot are lower lash lines lined with jewel-tones and flicks created with metallic hues. We recommend stocking up on various shades of the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof, Up to 24HR Pencil Eyeliner so you’ll be all set to embrace this trend when the opportunity arises.
3. Makeup artist-inspired hacks. In 2019, the world won’t only be taking notes from beauty influencers, they’ll also get plenty of inspiration from makeup artists. One makeup artist hack we expect to take off is the old favorite of bending mascara wands to catch hard to reach lashes. Of course, nowadays, you don’t have to go around bending and breaking your favorite mascara wands. Rather, you can use the L’Oréal Paris Unlimited Lash Lifting and Lengthening Washable Mascara, which has a two-position wand to give you the same fringe amplifying-effect.
4. Expanding brush collections. Soon, gone will be the days of using only one or two makeup brushes (or even just your fingers) to create a complete makeup look. With cool new brushes coming out all the time, you’ll notice almost everyone has a makeup bag full of brushes with different uses, from toothbrush makeup brushes to fan makeup brushes.
Much like makeup, hair color is an area where there are new trends on an almost daily basis. However, there are a few big trends that will hold strong throughout the year.
1. Toned down hues. Bright hair colors are still beautiful, but 2019 will see a rise in more subtle, washed out hair colors. Think of these as dusty or smokey shades. While they may not initially sound quite as fun as a vibrant blue or pink, they’re amazingly edgy and cool. They also won’t require quite as much upkeep, since they look just as good when they fade. Try the L’Oréal Paris Féria in Dusty Mauve or Vintage Teal to get the look.
2. Hair glosses. Those in search of shiny hair will be stepping up their game in 2019. Instead of relying solely on hair serums and oils to give them lustrous locks, they’re booking appointments at the salon—or trying at-home options—for a hair gloss. These treatments give hair the beautiful shine (and usually a hint of color) that everyone desires.
3. Silver strands. We’re calling it now, silver is the hair color of the year. While in previous years we've seen gray become a trending hair color, 2019 is all about a shinier, more metallic take on that trend. Whether you’ve already started to go gray or don’t have a single silver-y strand on your head, silver hair will make for the ultimate cool-girl look in the new year. Get ahead of the game with a little help from the L’Oréal Paris Féria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color in Silver.
4. Black light hair colors. If you don’t have a black light on hand, you better add one to your wish list. Around festival season, you can expect temporary black light hair colors to skyrocket in popularity. Attendees will paint their hair (and hair extensions) with various shades of hair makeup that glow when under a black light. So cool! To start prepping for the big festival now, pick up the L’Oréal Paris Colorista Hair Makeup 1-Day Color in Neon Green, Neon Pink, and Neon Yellow.
Expect to see more innovation in the hair care industry as everyone pays more attention to taking care of their tresses after experimenting with all those fun hair colors.
1. Almond. Just as almond milk has been a major trend in terms of what to put in your coffee, almonds are about to takeover hair care, too. To add this trendy ingredient to your hair care routine, start using the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner, which is formulated with sweet almond oil.
2. Pomegranate. Another food ingredient that will be receiving its fair share of attention in 2019 is pomegranate. If you want to care for your hair while trying out a trendy ingredient, grab the L’Oréal Paris Elvive Color Vibrancy Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner, which is formulated with pomegranate extract.
3. Skin care-inspired trends. Hair care and skin care are not worlds apart as you might assume. A lot of what you do for your skin needs to be done to your hair, too. Just think about it: You cleanse and moisturize both, right? So, it’s only fitting that hair care trends are starting to take inspiration from skin care. Case in point: Hair sheet masks. After a number of years of sheet masks being the big thing in skin care, now you can use them on your hair, too. To start 2019 off right—by pampering yourself with one of the year’s big trends—use the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Intense Repair Hair Sheet Mask or L’Oréal Paris EverPure Deep Moisture Hair Sheet Mask.
4. Coordinating hair care systems. It’s no longer acceptable to pair random hair care products together. Now, it’s all about using products that are part of the same system. To start this trend right as the year begins, make it your resolution to clear your shower of all those mismatched products you’ve been hanging onto for way too long and replace them with a simple, three-step system that consists of shampoo, conditioner, and a hair mask.
Wondering how everyone will be styling their strands in 2019? We know of at least a few ways…
1. Ponytail hair extensions. Some of the best and biggest beauty trends tend to come from pop stars and celebrities, and that’s certainly true of this 2019 trend. After appearing nearly-constantly on one of our favorite stars, ponytail hair extensions will become mainstream in the new year. If you want to partake in this trend, just remember you’ll need to give your extensions a hair care routine all their own. Here’s How to Take Care of Hair Extensions.
3. Nostalgia-inducing hairstyles. Trends aren’t always completely new. Sometimes they’re things that are being brought back from the past. Take these nostalgia-inducing hairstyles, for example. Instead of coming up with innovative new ‘dos, 2019 is about finding new ways to rock your favorite looks from your youth. We’re talking updated pigtails and hairstyles adorned with butterfly clips—everything that makes you feel wistful about your childhood.
4. Low updos. We’ll never part with our beloved top knots, but we can’t help but admit lower updos are going to be big in the new year. Instead of piling all of your hair atop your head, it’ll be in to secure your hair in low buns and ponytails. These low hairstyles are incredibly chic—not to mention, easy to create.
Skin care has been a trend in its own right over the last few years and in 2019 new, skin-specific trends will continue to appear.
1. Manuka honey. 2019 won’t be the year of just any honey, but manuka honey, in particular. According to the Mayo Clinic, honey—the regular kind—has antioxidant benefits. Manuka honey, which the National Center for Biotechnology Information refers to as a non-peroxide honey, also has antioxidant benefits, making it a prime ingredient for skin care products. Give it a shot in your skin care routine with the L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Hydra Nutrition Manuka Honey All Over Balm – Face/Neck/Chest/Hands.
2. Acne face mapping. Have you heard about acne face mapping? If not, you certainly will soon! This upcoming skin care trend involves determining the cause of your breakouts based on where they appear on your face. Pretty neat, right?
3. The hands-on approach. In 2019, you’ll see DIY skin care—concocting your own products—falling out of favor. In its place, the hands-on approach will be prioritized. This covers everything from using skin care tools like jade rollers and derma rollers to embracing the Japanese skin care trend of patting.
4. Fruit ingredients. Fruit is a delicious part of a well-balanced diet, and it can also have skin care benefits. That’s why you’ll be seeing a surge in the number of products featuring fruit ingredients. To give this trend a try now, add the L’Oréal Paris Pure-Sugar Purify & Unclog Face Scrub (which is formulated with kiwi seeds) and the L’Oréal Paris Pure-Clay Clarify & Smooth Face Mask (which is formulated with yuzu lemon) to your skin care routine.
Fashion and beauty trends go hand-in-hand, so we couldn’t resist covering our style predictions, too!
1. Extreme layering. With winter upon us, we should all be thankful that extreme layering will be trending in 2019. Have fun layering sweaters, jackets, coats, and anything else you can think of, while staying warm this winter.
2. Mixing patterns. This trend gives you the perfect opportunity to remember that fashion doesn’t have to be serious. You can have fun with it and be playful by experimenting with mixing patterns. Our recommendation? Choose one large-scale pattern and one smaller pattern to pair together. The smaller pattern will almost read as a neutral!
4. Personalization. Let’s be honest, humans are a little self-obsessed. It’s just human nature! So, it makes all the sense in the world that personalization is going to become a trend. From monogrammed purses to customized fashion services (where you can order clothes online, tailored to your perfect measurements), 2019 will be slightly vain in terms of fashion—but don’t worry, you deserve it!
Lifestyle trends tend to trickle into every category eventually, so it pays off to pay attention to them.
1. Vegan everything. You might not think of veganism as something that could be trendy, but here we are. In 2019, you shouldn’t be surprised to see non-vegans enjoying vegan restaurants and even using vegan beauty products.
2. Meditation. 2018 was all about self-care, and that trend will certainly continue in 2019. The only difference is, the new year will put a new emphasis on meditation.
3. Rooftop farming. Rooftop farming, or urban farming, is another trend to have your finger on the pulse of in 2019. If you live in a big city, you may reap the rewards and notice it becoming easier to get your hands on local produce, as instead of coming from fields that are far away, your fruits and veggies could actually be grown on a rooftop a few buildings over from your own.
4. Cwtch. We may not be 100% sure how to confidently pronounce ‘cwtch’, but we know it’s going to be a trend in 2019. Cwtch, which is a Welsh word with no exact English translation, is similar to a cuddle or a hug. Basically, if you remember when ‘hygge’ was all the rage, ‘cwtch’ is its successor. Of course, it isn’t hugs that are trending, a cwtch can be a cozy area for snuggling up, filled with comfy pillows and blankets and the like. Now, that sounds nice! (Had your fill of trends? Next, why not read about something timeless? Here are 5 Timeless Beauty Trends That Will Always Be in Favor.)