Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
5 Lipstick Mistakes You Could Be Making
VOLUMINOUS® X Fiber Mascara
COLOUR RICHE® Matte Lipstick
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
At a time when rainbow hair colors are all the rage, have ever you considered getting back to the basics? As eye-catching as unicorn or succulent-inspired hair colors can be, there’s just something classically beautiful about blonde hair. The key to creating a truly head-turning look that can compete with even the prettiest pastel ‘do is to pinpoint your ideal shade of blonde. Since, like many hair colors, there are so many different hues within the blonde family, we’re sharing the prettiest cool, warm, and neutral shades of blonde below to help make your selection a little bit easier. Ready to upgrade your look? Keep reading to find your blonde hair color match!
If you have a cool skin tone, this color category will work best with your complexion.
1. Light ash blonde: As platinum’s ashy sister, this color is known for being one of the palest blondes possible with the slightest hints of ash. The ash hue is laden with subtle hints of pale green and blue undertones and looks beautiful paired with pale skin and light eyes. Oh, and P.S.: If you have rosy-looking skin, this blonde hair color is worth even more consideration because the green and blue undertones can help neutralize the appearance of redness on your face. Color theory, FTW!
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Excellence Creme in Light Ash Blonde
2. Medium champagne: This blonde hair color is definitely something to toast, too. The pale green and blue undertones of this medium blonde shade pairs gorgeously with pale to medium cool skin tones with pink undertones.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Excellence Creme in Champagne Blonde
3. Platinum blonde: Forever a classic, platinum blonde hair looks stunning on everyone from the most famous models to your next-door neighbor—and even you! Platinum looks especially pretty when paired with light to medium skin tones and light eyes. If you want to create a lived-in look with this color, let your natural roots peek through.
4. Strawberry blonde: If you find yourself unable to decide between coloring your hair blonde or red, this hybrid hue could be perfect for you! Equal parts red and blonde, strawberry blonde hair is totally customizable, so you can have the best of both the red and blonde worlds.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème in Medium Reddish Blonde
Have a warm skin tone? Try one of these flattering shades of blonde the next time you color your hair.
5. Light golden blonde: Embrace beach babe vibes with this golden, yellow blonde hair color, which can instantly add the look of warmth to your already warm skin.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference in Light Golden Blonde
6. Pearl blonde: Looking for an instant brightening boost? This soft, sunshine-y color will do just the trick! If you’re having trouble picturing this delicious hue, think about your favorite ‘90s singers and you’ll have the right idea in mind. Yep, this shade used to be super-popular back in the day, and it’s finally made a welcome comeback.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Féria in Ultra Pearl Blonde
7. Caramel blonde: If you have medium to dark skin, this ultra-shiny, warm hair color will highlight your facial features for a beautiful brightening effect. This color is often used in balayage highlighting techniques—so if you want to really nail the look, head to the salon and ask your stylist to start with a dark blonde that fades into a rich caramel hue around your face and at the ends.
8. Golden blonde. There’s nothing like rocking a sun-kissed look all year long. If you love the beach babe look but want to take your color up a notch from light golden blonde, try this majorly metallic hue that will make you look like you just spent a day hanging out in the sand.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference in Golden Blonde
9. Honey blonde: This warm and shiny blonde hair color is definitely something to consider if you love looking lit-from-within. And, let’s be real, who doesn’t? This pretty shade complements medium skin tones best.
10. Sandy blonde: Ready to go blonde but still want your hair color to look subtle? This beach-inspired hue is comprised of varying beige tones to create a warm look that can be easily worn all year long.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Féria in Light Beige Blonde
If your skin closely borders warm and cool tones, we’re oh-so-jealous of your versatile skin tone, which can work with just about any shade of blonde. That being said, here are a few picks that’ll look particularly stunning when paired with your skin tone.
11. Light blonde: Think of the color of a little girl’s blonde hair—that’s just what this shade of blonde should look like. With natural highlights and an allover color that ranges between ash and golden blonde, this color works well with all skin tones and eye colors, though it looks particularly pretty with any light skin tone.
DIY it: L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème in Lightest Natural Blonde
12. Bronde: If you love brown and blonde hair but can’t quite decide which color to embrace, make the transition easier with this in-between hue. Known for its perfect mix of blonde highlights and brown lowlights, this trendy hair color can be customized for any skin tone. A word of advice: You’ll definitely want to leave this one up to your colorist, as a professional will be able to expertly create your customized blonde hair color.
13. Nude blonde: You know how the monochrome look is dominating the fashion scene? Now it’s rocking the beauty scene, too. It’s all about creating a customized hair color that blends in perfectly with your skin tone. With equal parts warm and cool tones, you’re sure to find a one-of-a-kind look that’s uniquely you—just make sure to enlist the help of your colorist to make it happen.
Now that you have a little more guidance when it comes to picking the right shade of blonde hair for you, it’s time to keep a few things in mind. For starters, if you’re lightening your hair color, you’ll need to bleach it first—and the darker your base, the more sessions it may require to reach your desired shade of blonde. When making a dramatic hair color change—such as going from a deep brunette to a platinum blonde—it’s always a good idea to visit a professional colorist, who can guide you through the process from start to finish. And, it’s also worth pointing out that blonde hair does require maintenance—if you want to keep your hair color looking fresh, you’ll need to make time for regular touch-ups.
Once you’re officially a blonde, it’s time to make a few key changes to your hair care routine. Follow our tips below for caring for blonde, color-treated hair.
1. Use a system of shampoo, conditioner, and mask formulated for blonde, color-treated hair. Say goodbye to your old hair care products and make room for new ones in your shower! Try the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shampoo, L’Oréal Paris EverPure EverBlonde Conditioner, and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Blonde Shade Reviving Treatment.
2. Always apply a heat protectant before styling with hot tools. Want to style your blonde hair into a sleek blowout? Before switching on your flat iron or blow-dryer, make sure to spritz your hair with the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Blow Out HeatSpray or the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight HeatSpray.
3. Create gorgeous styles sans heat. No time to style your hair with hot tools? No problem! Rock an effortlessly beautiful look with the help of the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray, L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Ruffled Body Mousse, or L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Undone Style Cream. Just apply your styling product of choice to towel-dried hair, then let your hair air dry for an effortless vibe.
4. Temporarily hide the look of gray roots. Even if you don’t have time for a touch-up when your gray roots start growing in, you can still hide them temporarily in a pitch. Simply spray the L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Cover Up onto new growth and partly through the length of your hair to blend in the color. It’s available in light to medium blonde and dark blonde shades.
Now that you know which shade of blonde to choose, the best way to get a blonde hair color, and how to take care of lightened locks, all that’s left is actually bringing your look to life. Enjoy your new blonde ‘do!
Loved learning all about going blonde? Check out our article, Seeing Red: Your Guide to Dyeing Your Hair Crimson, for more hair color inspiration. More of a brown hair fan? Check out our article, The Best Brown Hair Color for Your Skin Tone. Whatever you choose, we’re sure you’ll look stunning!