Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
7 Places on Your Face to Apply Highlighter
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Do you remember how popular glitter makeup was back in the ‘90s? Well, if you’re feeling nostalgic, you’re in luck: It turns out that metallic makeup—including metallic lipstick and metallic eye shadow—is totally on trend these days. And it’s a whole lot more sophisticated than the glitter makeup you remember from years past. Yep: Metallic makeup is glitter makeup’s understated cousin. And that’s precisely why Hollywood, runways, city streets, and social media feeds are teeming with the makeup look. Want to get in on the metallic makeup fun? Follow our metallic makeup tutorial below.
Ready to get your sparkle on? Here’s how to apply metallic makeup like a pro.
1. Start with primer.Metallic makeup, like glitter makeup, can need an even base so that it goes on smoothly. So, before applying any makeup, be sure to use both a face and eye primer to help prevent creases and allow your metallic makeup look to wear evenly. For your face, try the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro Matte Lock Makeup Primer if you have oily skin or the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro Glow Lock Makeup Primer if you have dry skin.
2. Pick hues that flatter your complexion. Of course, you can wear any color you like. But when it comes to finding the perfect metallic makeup hue for your skin tone, this is a good general rule of thumb to follow: Stick to darker shades for lighter skin tones and lighter hues for darker skin tones. The contrast will look super-complementary and won’t risk washing you out.
3. Have fun with metallic eye shadow. As soon as you hear the words “metallic makeup,” you probably think of bronze, gold, and silver. Embrace these shades on your eyes by applying a metallic eye shadow. Try the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Paints Metallics Eye Shadow in Rose Chrome, Brass Knuckles, Caged, Violet Luster, and Aluminum Foil.
4. Add a pop of metallic color to your lips. To add some shimmer to your pout, paint your lips with a metallic lipstick. Try the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Paints/Lips Metallic in Moon Lust, Galactic Foil, Smoldering Eclipse, or Liquid Venom.
5. Transform your non-metallic makeup into metallic makeup. If you don’t want to totally restock your makeup bag, simply pick up a few loose metallic eye shadow pigments that you can layer and mix with any of your creamy lipsticks or eye shadows to instantly nail a magically metallic makeup look.
The best thing about the metallic makeup trend is that it’s incredibly simple to pull off—really! No matter your skin tone or your makeup skill level, you can rock runway-ready glam by trying one of the super-simple single-step metallic makeup looks below. Ready to dip your toes into the world of metallic makeup? Follow along!
Metallic makeup look #1: Silver inner eyes. Want to keep your metallic makeup low key? All you need is a pigmented metallic eye shadow (preferably in silver) to dab onto the inner corner of your eyes.
Metallic makeup look #2: Gunmetal liquid liner. The cat eye is a classic makeup look, but that doesn’t mean you have to create it with black eyeliner. So, the next time you think about flicking your eyeliner, reach for a gunmetal gray shade instead to create the subtlest metallic tint.
Metallic makeup look #3: Glowing cheeks. Who doesn’t want a glowing-looking complexion? To take your metallic glow to the next level, just pick up a luminous cream highlighter—like the L’Oréal Paris True Match™ Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator in Ice—and apply it to the tops of your cheekbones.
Metallic makeup look #4: Metallic lips. You can use any of the gorgeous metallic lipstick choices above for a foil-like finish that is sure to draw major attention to your lips.
Now that you know how to rock the metallic makeup trend, why not polish up on your matte makeup skills, too? To learn all there is you need to know, read our article, How to Wear Matte Makeup All Over Your Face.