Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
7 Places on Your Face to Apply Highlighter
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
You can probably relate to this scenario: You quickly wash your face before heading out for the day (or prior to getting into bed)—but somehow your complexion just doesn’t seem like it looks as good as it could. Hmmm…what’s the deal? What exactly are you missing?
Well, if you’re skipping out on moisturizer, then it’s time to change your skin routine pronto. Moisturizer is one of the most important steps for any good skin care routine. And, it turns out that there’s more to this skin care step than simply slathering on a facial lotion post-cleansing.
Keep reading to learn why moisturizing should be an important part of your beauty regimen and find tips for making the most out of this crucial part of your skin care routine. Happy hydrating!
Not yet entirely convinced about why you need to use a moisturizer on the regular? There are quite a few reasons why you shouldn’t skip out on moisturizing. For starters, external factors like pollution, UV rays, and excessive cleansing can all damage your skin’s moisture barrier, leading to dryness. Additionally, your skin’s ability to retain moisture decreases as you age. That’s why it’s essential to moisturize every morning and night—regardless of your skin type! Remember: Hydrated skin = happy skin.
Sure, using moisturizer seems pretty simple, doesn’t it? All you have to do is apply one and you’re good to go. Not so fast! There are a few things to keep in mind when using moisturizer. Want to get the most out of this skin care step? Consider the following tips.
1. Educate yourself on the different types of moisturizer—and pick the right one for your skin type. Think about it: You wouldn’t shampoo and condition with products formulated for curly hair if you had straight hair, now would you? Nope, we thought not—that just wouldn’t make sense! You should approach choosing a moisturizer in the same way. There are many different kinds of moisturizer available, ranging from lightweight gel-creams to heavier lotions and creams. If you have oily skin, you may benefit from a lightweight moisturizer; on the other hand, if you have dry skin, a thicker formula might be a better option for you. If you have combination skin, you may find yourself having to use different moisturizers on different areas of your face to address oiliness and dryness. Meanwhile, if you have sensitive skin, you may want to steer clear of products with fragrance and alcohol, which can be drying and cause irritation. When shopping for a new moisturizer, look for one specifically formulated for your skin type.
2. Layer your skin care products in the right order. A good skin care routine consists of cleansing and moisturizing—but there are other steps you can add in as well, depending on your needs. You should always start with cleanser, then work your way to toner, serum, moisturizer, and broad-spectrum SPF (in the morning only). Moisturizer should be the last step in your nighttime skin care routine. Not as complicated as you thought, is it? See, a skin care routine doesn’t have to be difficult to put together!
3. Don’t skip the SPF. In the morning, be sure to apply a broad-spectrum SPF of 30 or higher over your moisturizer 15 minutes before you go outside—or reach for a moisturizer formulated with broad-spectrum SPF so that you can cut down the number of steps in your skin care routine. When you’re exposed to the sun’s harmful UV rays without wearing protection, this can lead to damage, which can show up as visible signs of aging down the road, such as wrinkles and dark spots. Not cool. That’s why it’s crucial that you wear sunscreen with broad-spectrum SPF everyday—rain or shine (according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, you can get burned even on cloudy days!). Throw your sunscreen (or moisturizer with SPF) into your tote so that you can reapply every two hours—oh, and toss a pair of shades in as well!
4. Apply your moisturizer to damp skin. After washing your face, don’t immediately towel off. Instead, have your moisturizer at the ready so that you can apply it to damp skin. This can help lock in hydration. Follow this advice when it comes to your body, too. After you’re done showering, apply body lotion to damp skin, paying particular attention to areas like your knees and elbow, which tend to be on the drier side.
5. Pay attention to your neck and chest. Be honest: When you moisturize, how often do you show the skin below your jawline any love? It’s time to change that behavior! Go ahead and apply your moisturizer to your neck and décolletage every time you moisturize so that they can reap the hydration benefits as well.
6. Switch up your moisturizer based on the seasons. In the winter, you may experience drier skin, thanks to the low moisture in the air. That means you might benefit from the use of a heavier cream moisturizer. But come the warmer days of spring and summer, it could be a good idea to switch to a lighter-weight formula.
How to Find the Right Moisturizer for Your Skin Type and Concerns
Phew. We know we just threw a lot of information at you! But now that you know the best ways to help make the most out of your moisturizing routine, it’s time to find the right one for your skin type and concerns. Here are product recommendations from L’Oréal Paris to help get you started. Moisturizer, FTW!
If you have oily skin…try the L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Normal/Oily Skin, which is formulated with hyaluronic acid and aloe water to help provide for long-lasting hydration with a matte finish. Apply it to damp skin after cleansing. Yes—you do need to use moisturizer even if you have oily skin, so don’t skip out!
If you have dry skin…try the L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Normal/Dry Skin. Formulated with hyaluronic acid and aloe water, this water-based moisturizer helps make skin look glow-y. Apply it to damp skin after cleansing.
If you have extra dry skin…try the L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Daily Liquid Care for Extra Dry Skin. As you know, extra dry skin can feel super-uncomfortable. This water-based moisturizer is formulated with hyaluronic acid and aloe water to provide long-lasting hydration and comfort. Apply it to damp skin after cleansing.
If you have mature, dull skin…try the L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Cell Renewal Rosy Tone Moisturizer. As skin matures, its ability to renew surface cells slows down, causing a buildup of dead skin cells on the surface. As a result, your skin can become dull-looking, losing its natural rosy tone. This moisturizer is formulated with imperial peony and LHA and enhanced with rosy pigments to help gently exfoliate dull skin and revive your complexion’s natural pink tone. Gently smooth it onto your face in a circular motion after cleansing.
If you have mature, very dry skin…try the L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Golden Balm Face, Next & Chest, which is formulated with calcium and 10 precious oils. As skin matures, one of the biggest changes is the loss of moisture, nutrients, and natural oils. As a result, your face, neck, and chest can become very dry. This rich, luxurious balm helps to provide long-lasting hydration. Apply it to cleansed skin morning and night.
If you’re in need of a moisturizer with SPF…try the L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Bright Reveal Brightening Day Lotion SPF 30, which is formulated with glycolic acid, vitamin C, Pro-Retinol, and broad-spectrum SPF 30. Apply it 15 minutes before going outside and reapply every two hours. No excuses!
If you’re a guy…try the L’Oréal Paris Men Expert™ Vita Lift SPF 15 Anti-Wrinkle & Firming Moisturizer. If you’re like most dudes, you may not pay as much attention to your skin care routine as you should. But you should still be engaging in a regular cleansing and moisturizing routine. This non-oily, non-sticky moisturizer is formulated with broad-spectrum SPF 15 and helps to provide all day hydration. After cleansing, apply the moisturizer to your fingertips and rub together. Starting at your head, massage gently in a circular motion, moving away from your eyes until absorbed. Pack it with you so that you can reapply every two hours.
Let’s recap what we learned here today! Moisturizing should play an important part in your daily skin care routine—both in the morning and at night. You should always moisturize after cleansing, toning, and applying serum—and putting your moisturizer onto damp skin can help to lock in hydration. What’s more, it’s important to use a moisturizer formulated with broad-spectrum SPF before going outside to help protect your skin from UV rays. There are lots of different types of moisturizers out there, from lightweight lotions to heavier creams, so look for one that’s especially formulated for your skin type and then get to work!