You are $75 away from free shipping
This Is Why Our Lash Serum Is a Must
AGE PERFECT MAKEUP Radiant Serum Foundation with SPF 50
UNBELIEVA-BROW Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
AGE PERFECT® Rosy Tone Fragrance Free Face Moisturizer
REVITALIFT DERM INTENSIVES 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Should You Wash Your Hair Before You Color It?
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC ROOT Precision Pen
Our 21 Best Hair Care Tips For Every Hair Type
EVERPURE Brass Toning Purple Sulfate Free Shampoo
ELVIVE Color Vibrancy Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner
The Best Bangs for Every Face Shape and Hair Type
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Find your next look
Haircolor Meets Makeup
Match your Brow and Hair Color Shade
WOMEN OF WORTH
Honoring extraordinary women who selflessly volunteer
Learn about the science behind skin care
Checkout our weekly live broadcast with tips from our experts
Find the perfect gift from our carefully curated selection of top beauty favorites
Browse your saved items
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Long gone are the days where being sustainable with your beauty routine was a challenge. Instead, reusable makeup remover pads and recycling products have become staples in the world of hair, skin care, and makeup. On the note of the latter, the silicone makeup sponge has been picking up speed as one of the trendiest, need-to-have tools for applying your face makeup—and for more than its sustainability. Ahead, we’re sharing exactly what a silicone makeup blender is, if you should be using one, and (if you decide to take the plunge) how to use it for a flawless makeup look.
Spoiler alert: A silicone makeup sponge is exactly what it sounds like—a makeup sponge that’s made of a rubbery, silicone material. It’s become a popular option over traditional makeup blenders because it doesn’t absorb product like a soft, spongy material does. It also won’t hoard bacteria over time, since the outside of the silicone makeup blender can be easily cleaned after each use without the worry of lingering product. They come in a range of shapes and sizes, just like other makeup sponges, and are primarily used to apply foundation, concealer, and face powder.
We’d argue there are a plethora of reasons to give a silicone makeup blender a try. If you don’t believe us, here are five.
1. Easy cleaning. Oftentimes, cleaning makeup brushes and blenders can be a headache. You have to dedicate a hefty amount of time to thoroughly cleanse every ounce of makeup that has made its way into the crevices of your tools, not to mention account for drying time. With a silicone makeup blender, you don’t have to worry about product that has been absorbed into the sponge, meaning cleaning takes just a few minutes. There’s also no drying time required (we’ll talk more about the cleaning process later).
2. Sustainability. Like we mentioned, silicone makeup sponges are planet-friendly. Sure, traditional sponges can be used multiple times, but after a bit, they need to be replaced. Since a silicone makeup blender doesn’t absorb products with each use and has a more durable material, they beat out the alternative on the sustainability front.
3. Long-lasting. You probably get the idea that silicone makeup sponges are pretty long-lasting. With the proper care (meaning cleaning them after each use), you can keep the same one in your makeup bag for a year or more!
4. Budget-friendly. We’re sure you get where we’re going with this. Since silicone blenders are long-lasting, they can save you a few coins in the long run. Without the need to constantly replace your makeup sponge, you can put that money toward other beauty buys.
5. Shareable. One of the top beauty don’ts is sharing makeup products and tools. It’s unsanitary and can cause bacteria to spread from one person to the other, which could lead to breakouts and more. The convenient part of silicone makeup sponges is that if your BFF forgot to pack her own foundation applicator, you can lend her yours without worry—so long as you wash it thoroughly after each person uses it.
Silicone makeup sponges work just like any other makeup sponge you’re used to using. For example, if you’re applying the L’Oréal Paris Infallible 24 Hour Fresh Wear Foundation, Lightweight, you can put a dot of product onto each cheek, your forehead, chin, and nose. Then, use the silicone makeup sponge to buff and blend out the formula. To do so, bounce and roll the blender onto your skin, creating an airbrushed finish.
We’ve touched on the need to clean your silicone makeup blender after each use, but we haven’t quite dived into the process. We promise, it’s easy.
Rinse your silicone sponge with water to remove any excess product. Then, apply soap to the blender and use your fingers to ensure the sponge is thoroughly coated. After waiting a few seconds for the soap to work its magic, rinse thoroughly. Alternatively, you can use a bit of micellar water, like our L’Oréal Paris Micellar Cleansing Water Complete Cleanser Waterproof - All Skin Types, on a cotton pad to wipe away any excess product.
Use a paper towel or washcloth to absorb any water from your blender. That’s it!
Next: How To Use a Stippling Brush
Sign up for the latest beauty news, product samples and coupons
Now you’ll be the first to hear about our latest beauty news, product samples and coupons and so much more. You’ll hear from us soon.