Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
Insider's Look: The Camila Cabello Havana Makeup Collection
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Havana Camila Cabello Lip Dew
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
One of the most essential parts of adulting is making sure you have enough coffee to get you through the day. So, why not extend the coffee love to your hair color with this season’s favorite shade of brown hair? We’re talking about espresso hair. Sounds pretty delicious, right? Before heading to your bathroom or the salon to embrace a cup-of-Joe look, take our word and polish up on the hair color trend first. From choosing the right at-home permanent hair color to finding the best hair care products to help maintain your brown mane, everything you need to know about espresso hair is just below.
Unlike rainbow-inspired hair colors or jewel-toned hues, opting for an espresso hair color should be relatively easy. Whereas unnatural colors require quite a bit of work to achieve, creating an espresso hair color shouldn’t, considering no lightening will be necessary—unless, of course, you’re starting out with black hair or another very dark shade. Of course, you’re still going to have to make regular touchups once you’re roots grow in—and you’ll also want to change up your hair care routine post-dye job (more on that below).
Achieving espresso hair color all comes down to finding the perfect box of permanent hair color that sits on the cusp of black and brown. If you’re having trouble finding the right shade, head to your local drugstore or grocery store to pick up a box of the L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference Hair Color in Cool Darkest Brown or L’Oréal Paris Excellence Crème in Dark Ash Brown. Either option will help you achieve your espresso brown hair color goals.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again—color-treated hair requires a special level of commitment and care to keep it in tip-top condition. Follow the five tips below for an easy transition into color-treated hair care.
1. Switch to a system of shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask that’s specially formulated for color-treated hair. It’s time to break up with your old shampoo, conditioner, and other hair care products. Instead, try using a system formulated for colored hair, like the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair & Defend Shampoo, L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair & Defend Conditioner, and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair Remedy Balm. Use the hair mask in place of the conditioner once or twice a week.
2. Turn down the heat. Taking a hot shower might feel great, but it’s not exactly the best thing in the world for your hair. Super-hot temps can strip your strands of essential oils, leaving hair dry and dull-looking. Lower the temperature in the shower and wash off in lukewarm water instead.
3. Use heat protectant. Love hot tools? If you find yourself wanting to blow-dry, straighten, or curl your color-treated hair, just make sure to use a heat protectant, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heatspray, first.
4. Let your hair air dry. You don’t have to use heat tools to style your hair. For those days when you want a break or are in a rush to make it out the door on time, air dry your hair. After hopping out of the shower, reach for a styling product, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray, and apply it towel-dried hair to add shape and texture to your strands.
5. Get a gloss. There’s nothing worse than noticing that your hair color has started to dull. But hitting up the salon to get a gloss can help keep your espresso hair color looking shiny.
6. Hide gray roots temporarily. If you’ve noticed grays peeking through but don’t have time for a full touchup, you can temporarily disguise gray roots with the L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Cover Up in Dark Brown.
Want more advice on dyeing your hair brown? Here is The Best Brown Hair Color for Your Skin Tone.