You are $75 away from free shipping
This Is Why Our Lash Serum Is a Must
AGE PERFECT MAKEUP Radiant Serum Foundation with SPF 50
UNBELIEVA-BROW Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
AGE PERFECT® Rosy Tone Fragrance Free Face Moisturizer
REVITALIFT DERM INTENSIVES 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Should You Wash Your Hair Before You Color It?
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC ROOT Precision Pen
Our 21 Best Hair Care Tips For Every Hair Type
EVERPURE Brass Toning Purple Sulfate Free Shampoo
ELVIVE Color Vibrancy Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner
The Best Bangs for Every Face Shape and Hair Type
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Find your next look
Haircolor Meets Makeup
Match your Brow and Hair Color Shade
WOMEN OF WORTH
Honoring extraordinary women who selflessly volunteer
The formula the world is asking for?
Learn about the science behind skin care
Browse your saved items
Find the perfect gift from our carefully curated selection of top beauty favorites
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Dark brown hair with blonde highlights is a hair color trend that has been turning heads left and right for decades, and for good reason. The sun-kissed brunette beauties who walk down runways and everyday streets have a certain je ne sais quoi about them that draws in all the attention without looking overdone. Have we convinced you to spruce up your own dark brown hair with highlights? There are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind before you actually try this hair color trend yourself. Below, we share everything you need to know about getting brown hair with blonde highlights. Follow along!
If you’ve ever colored your hair before, you know that it can take a bit of patience and precision—especially when it comes to adding in highlights. Keep in mind that if you’re starting with naturally dark hair, it can be difficult to achieve the level of blonde you may be interested in, and bleach will be required to lighten your color. It may be a good idea to visit a pro who can expertly take you through the process and manage your expectations. What’s more, some highlighting techniques, such as balayage, require quite a bit of skill and precision, so you’ll want to leave that to the experts anyway. That being said, it is possible to get dark brown hair with blonde highlights at home—and we’re outlining exactly how below!
If you want to add blonde highlights to your dark brown hair, you can DIY your highlights at home with the L’Oréal Paris Colorista Bleach in Highlights. The kit comes with a developer crème, bleaching powder, lightening crème, conditioning shampoo, and DIY highlight brush. Follow the enclosed instructions for the best results, then show off your gorgeous new hair color!
Of course, there’s more than one option when it comes to dark brown hair with blonde highlights. Whether you plan to DIY your lightened hair or head to the salon, consider the below for inspo.
Option #1: Dark brown hair with caramel highlights. Dark brown and caramel go together like, well, dark chocolate filled with caramel. Yum! This combination of warm, rich colors will create envy-worthy dimension.
Option #2: Dark brown hair with ash blonde highlights. If you have cool, dark brown hair, consider getting ash blonde highlights. The cool undertones will pair beautifully with your natural hair color.
Option #3: Dark brown hair with platinum highlights. Who says blonde highlights for dark brown hair have to be subtle? On the contrary, this high contrast duo is seriously stunning when done with the balayage highlighting technique.
Option #4: Dark brown hair with creamy blonde highlights. If platinum is a bit too bold for you, but you still love the idea of contrasting strands, creamy blonde highlights may be just what you’re looking for. This beige blonde color will provide definition without being too harsh.
Option #5: Dark brown hair with strawberry blonde highlights. It’s no secret that brown hair pairs beautifully with red highlights. If blonde highlights are still your goal, get the best of both worlds with strawberry blonde highlights!
Officially sun-kissed? Yes! You’re positively in love with your new ‘do, right? Well, then you better care for it correctly! Once you’ve colored your hair, it’s a good idea to make a few changes to your regular hair care routine to help care for your strands.
1. Use a system of shampoo and conditioner formulated for color-treated hair. Switch out your old shampoo and conditionerfor a system that’s formulated for color-treated hair, like the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair & Defend Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair & Defend Conditioner.
2. Add in a hair mask a couple times a week. Once or twice a week, swap out the above conditioner for the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair Remedy Balm. Apply the hair mask to wet hair, leave it on for three to five minutes, then rinse out thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat dry.
3. Always use a heat protectant. Excessive heat styling can lead to damage—which is why it’s always important to use a heat protectantbefore busting out your blow-dryer, curling iron, or flat iron. Try the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heatspray.
4. Let your hair air-dry from time to time. You don’t have to use heat tools to get a gorgeous-looking hairstyle! Give your mane a break from the blow-dryer every once in a while by air drying your hair. For beachy waves, spritz the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Sprayonto towel-dried hair, create a braid, then undo the braid once your hair has dried.
5. Schedule a glaze. One of the best ways to make your dark brown hair with blonde highlights look shinier is to get a glaze every few weeks at the salon. To find out if your specific golden highlights can benefit from a glaze, consult your favorite stylist and cross your fingers!
Next up: Brush up on The Best Highlights and Lowlights for 2019.
Sign up for the latest beauty news, product samples and coupons
Now you’ll be the first to hear about our latest beauty news, product samples and coupons and so much more. You’ll hear from us soon.