Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
This Is Why Our Lash Serum Is a Must
VOLUMINOUS® Original Mascara
Unbelieva-brow Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
AGE PERFECT® Rosy Tone Fragrance Free Face Moisturizer
REVITALIFT DERM INTENSIVES 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Meet The Roots
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
EVERPURE Brass Toning Purple Sulfate Free Shampoo
ELVIVE Color Vibrancy Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
When the weather dips into the teens, there’s nothing better than cozying up with a glass of mulled wine and sinking into a good book or film. While you’re at it, why not let your hair get in on the mulled wine love, too? Here in 2018, a mulled wine hair color is one of the very top beauty trends—so there’s no time like the present to make a change. But, before you head straight to your bathroom or the salon to get in on this hair color trend, there are a few things you’ll want to know, including how to find the right at-home hair color kit and how to tailor your hair care routine to colored hair. To help you through the hair coloring process, below we spill on all things mulled wine hair.
As with all unnatural hair colors, mulled wine hair can require quite a bit of work to achieve. If you’re starting with a dark base color (like dark brown), then you’ll need to either lighten your hair first in order for your mulled wine tone to show up or choose a dyeing process that will add tone to your tresses without the need of initial lightening. And the darker your base color, the more sessions it may take to reach your desired shade. In addition to that, color-treated hair should be cared for differently—so you’ll want to make a few changes to your hair care routine once you’ve gotten your dye job. Visiting a pro colorist is always a good option, as he or she can help guide you through the process. If you don’t want all-over color, consider asking your colorist to add a mulled wine hue just to your ends for on-trend ombré hair.
More of a DIY gal? The L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color collection has an array of hair colors, including a pretty burgundy option that can help lend to a semi-permanent mulled wine look. If you’re looking for something a bit more permanent, take a peek at the L’Oréal Paris Féria Multi-Faceted Hair Color in Deep Burgundy Brown, Deep Burgundy, and Rich Mahogany. While each of these shades varies ever so slightly, they will all help you create the mulled wine hair color you’ve been craving.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again—color-treated hair requires a special level of commitment and care to keep it in tip-top condition. The following five tips are sure to make caring for your newly colored hair a little easier.
1. Switch to a system of shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask that’s specially formulated for color-treated hair. It’s time to break up with your old shampoo, conditioner, and other hair care products. Instead, try using a system formulated for colored hair, like the L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair & Defend Shampoo, L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair & Defend Conditioner, and L’Oréal Paris EverPure Repair Remedy Balm.
2. Turn down the heat. Taking a hot shower might feel great, but it’s not exactly the best thing in the world for your hair. Super-hot temps can strip your strands of essential oils, leaving mulled wine hair dry and dull-looking.
3. Use heat protectants. Make sure to use a heat protectant, like the L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heatspray, before picking up your blow-dryer.
4. Let your hair air dry. You don’t have to use heat tools to style your mulled wine hair. For those days when you want a break or are in a rush to make it out the door on time, air dry your hair. After hopping out of the shower, reach for a wave-enhancing hair spray, like the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray, and apply it towel-dried hair to add shape and texture to your strands.
5. Schedule an appointment for a gloss. Has your mulled wine hair started to look a little dull? Head to the salon for a professional gloss to bring shine back to your colored hair.
As much as you might like sipping on wine (and coloring your hair the same shade), you may eventually want to switch up your look. To be prepared, check out our article, How to Get a Salmon Pink Hair Color.