Sign up to receive beautynews, product samples, couponsand more.
Please enter a valid e-mail address
We're sorry. That email address has already been used.
Thank you.You'll hear from us soon.
You are $75 away from free shipping
5 Lipstick Mistakes You Could Be Making
VOLUMINOUS® X Fiber Mascara
COLOUR RICHE® Matte Lipstick
Your Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Skin Care Routine Schedule
PURE-CLAY Detox & Brighten Cleanser
PURE-CLAY Clear & Comfort Face Mask
4 Best Tips for Touching Up Your Roots
COLORISTA Semi-Permanent Hair Color
MAGIC Root Cover Up
Your Guide to Sulfate-Free Hair Care
ELVIVE Extraordinary Oil Treatment
ELVIVE Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm
3 Easy Hairstyles in 3 Minutes Each
ADVANCED HAIRSTYLE AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray
ELNETT SATIN HAIRSPRAY Extra Strong Hold
Sorry, you must log in to save an item.
Ah, summer. ‘Tis the season for super-cute mini dresses, days spent lounging at the beach, and al fresco happy hours every night after work. In addition to switching up your wardrobe and your everyday routine, why not make a change to your hair color, too? Whether you want to opt for natural-looking balayage highlights or take a risk with something bolder like denim-colored hair, you’ve got plenty of options from which to choose. Ready for a fresh summer ‘do? Below, learn about the trendiest hair colors for summer 2017 and find out how to take care of color-treated hair this season. Let’s get started!
The trick to getting a gorgeous bronde balayage color? It’s all about creating the perfect mix of blonde and brown by adding highlights within the same color field of your natural hair color to add a more lived-in, natural look. Balayage can be a pretty tricky technique, so make sure to look for a colorist who specializes in it so that you’re happy with the end result. This trend requires bleaching, so if you’re starting with a dark base, it’s important to manage your expectations. The darker your current hue, the longer it will take to get lighter strands.
Who said light hair was the only look you could rock during the summer? Take one peek at your favorite celebrities’ tresses and you’ll quickly realize that rich chocolate hair are here to stay. If you think darker strands are in your future, make sure to match your chocolate hue to your skin tone. If you have fair skin with warm undertones, opt for a milk chocolate hue, while if your skin is on the darker side, a cool, dark chocolate will highlight your features for a beautifully mysterious vibe.
You count down to summer to have the chance to slip into a pair of cut-offs, so why not let your favorite wardrobe choice inspire your next hair color? The denim hair trend is all about mixing an array of blue hues together to create a customized color depending on what type of wash you want to emulate. With any drastic dye job, visiting a pro colorist is always a good option. If you’re more of a DIY dyer, you can get blue locks at home by use the L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Indigo. It works on bleached, light blonde, or highlighted hair—so, if you’re starting with a dark base, keep in mind that you’ll need to bleach your hair beforehand.
The minimalist approach doesn’t have to only apply to your makeup and hairstyle—it can also tie its way into your color, too. Nude hair is all about creating a natural blonde hue that matches your skin tone for a neutral monochromatic look. While nude hair can be tailored for any skin tone, it tends to look best with warm undertones. Since this hue is so individual, it’s best to see a professional colorist for this one—and again, if you’re starting brunette hair, bleaching will be necessary.
By now, it’s no secret that unicorns have a special place in our hearts here in 2017. While achieving holographic hair might not be feasible (if only!), rocking an iridescent mauve totally is. The trick to this magical look is asking your colorist for a rosy, gray-ish mauve—and scheduling regular glossing treatments to help keep your mane looking shiny all summer long.
Sometimes a whole head of color just isn’t your jam. We feel you! If you still want a color boost without dyeing your entire head, opt for soft face-framing highlights to amp up that quintessential beach babe vibe. The thin, well-placed highlights can help add an understated multi-dimensional effect from roots to ends. Again, a professional colorist will be able to expertly place highlights, which will require bleaching.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is mermaid-inspired hair. So, if you want to go all out and add as many colors as possible to your ‘do, embrace the year’s obsession with all things mermaids and unicorns. To create the look, ask your colorist for a series of pastel balayage highlights to add rainbow dimensions to your ‘do. So pretty!
This has been a top must-have look for a few seasons now, and there’s no sign of it going anywhere. The bright white strands are the epitome of cool girl style. Pair them with just enough exposed roots for a lived-in, carefree look that’s anything but low maintenance. Going platinum is a major change (especially if you’re starting out as a brunette) since it’ll involve a whole lot of bleach, so definitely visit a professional colorist for this one.
Keep your head in the clouds with this creative, cotton candy-like hue. As celebrities and beauty bloggers make their way through all the colors in the rainbow, it’s become clear that soft pink tresses are one way to really rock the unnatural hair color trend. Equal parts girly and edgy, this pale color could be the perfect finishing touch to your laidback summer look. To get the look at home, use L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Soft Pink. Remember: It works on bleached, light blonde, or highlighted hair, so you’ll need to bleach your strands beforehand if you’ve got darker hair.
Redheads have been having a serious moment lately—and when it comes to summer 2017, it’s all about embracing copper tones, which can help add a touch of warmth to your overall look.
Now that you have your summer ‘do planned out, it’s time to learn about what you should do to help keep your hair looking and feeling its best all season long, from changing how you shower to using the right styling products. Follow along with these steps!
1. Shower smartly. It’s time to kiss piping hot showers goodbye! It turns out that hot water can strip your hair of essential oils, which can cause it to feel dry. So, the next time you bathe, turn down the dial and do so in lukewarm temps. Hey, it’s summer, so this will hopefully feel like a refreshing treat after a day spent in the heat!
2. Swap out your regular shampoo and conditioner. When you dye your hair, it’s important to use a system of shampoo and conditioner formulated for color-treated hair. Try the L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Shampoo and L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Conditioner. Lather the shampoo into wet hands, then gently massage it into your hair and rinse. Follow up by applying the conditioner and leaving it on for 1-2 minutes, then rinse out.
3. Add a mask to your weekly hair care routine. Does your color-treated hair feel like it needs a little extra conditioning? Once or twice a week, use the L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Color Vibrancy Intensive Ultra Recovery Mask. After shampooing, apply the mask and leave it on for 3-5 minutes, then rinse.
4. Opt for air drying. Let’s be real: Do you really want to blow-dry your hair in the middle of a heat wave? Nope, we thought not! That doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your style, though. Embrace your hair’s natural texture this season and still look great. To create beachy waves, spritz on the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Wave Swept Spray to towel-dried hair, braid your hair, then undo the braid once your hair has dried. To create volume, apply an egg-sized dollop of the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Ruffled Body Mousse to wet hair, flip your hair upside down to scrunch, then let it dry. To create a put-together bedhead look, work a dime-sized amount of the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle AIR DRY IT Undone Style Cream to damp hair and go about your day.
5. Use a heat protectant if you do use styling tools. On some occasions, you still may want to heat style your strands during the summer. In those cases, make sure to apply a heat protectant first to help protect your strands. Try the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heatspray.
6. Help protect your strands from UV rays. Yep, the sun’s UV rays can fade your color, so throw on a floppy sun hat before you go outside. Bonus: You’ll look super-stylish!
7. Book regular touchups. Some color techniques—like balayage—require less maintenance than others. However, if you’re making a drastic change, you’re going to want to have your colorist’s number saved in your phone so that you can schedule regular upkeep appointments if you’d like to maintain your color this season—and perhaps even beyond.
And there you have it! Whether you decide to take the hair color plunge by dyeing your hair a pastel pink, denim blue, or copper red this summer, we hope you enjoy playing with your new hue!