Hat hair strikes at the most inopportune moments. You know, like when you bump into the boss in the elevator, or into that ex while picking up a latte at Starbucks. While those warm hats keep us nice and toasty in the winter, it’s nearly impossible to don them without falling victim to the much-maligned hat hair syndrome.
But you don’t need to hang up your hopes of volume for the winter. Using these simple tips, you can still enjoy hair filled with luxurious body even when the going gets super cold. Here’s how.
1. Volumize in the shower. . If you plan on donning a hat, washing and conditioning with thickening products can help give your hair a fuller base that won’t deflate underneath your accessory. Try L’Oréal Paris Volume Filler Thickening Shampoo & Conditioner which contain Filloxane to help generate a thicker feel and infuse lasting volume over time. For even more bodacious results, L’Oréal Paris Volume Filler Fiber Amplifying Concentrate is an in-shower treatment that contains 5 percent concentration of Filloxane that creates texture from within. Simply mix one ampoule with Volume Filler Conditioner and apply evenly through damp hair. Leave on for one to two minutes, and rinse thoroughly.
2. Stick with cotton and cashmere hats. The material that your hat is made of makes a big difference in how your underlying hair is affected. Wool and synthetic materials like polyester are more apt to turn hair flat and full of static. Stick with cotton, cashmere and a loose fit like floppy styles and berets that leave room for your strands to move and scalp to perspire without sopping your hair flat against your scalp.
3. Switch your hat out when you’re inside. When you reach your destination, take your hat off so that volume is given an opportunity to last. You can also give your strands a quick toss with fingers or a brisk comb-through to reinvigorate your style. Taking your hat off also helps if icy weather has dampened your hair, as wet hair will mold to the indented shape of your hat much more easily. Bonus: your strands will dry faster, so you’ll stay warm and toastier, too!
4. Use volumizing products. You can counter the effects of your favorite winter hat by using thickening products beforehand. L’Oréal Paris Volume Filler Densifying Gelee instantly infuses body and bounce while you blowdry. The Boost It Blow Out HeatSpray offers lasting volume and heat protection in one step before you blow-dry or use a hot tool, and the High Lift Creation Spray is a targeted styler that boosts hair at the root. For bounce, Volume Inject Mousse is a lightweight, aerated mousse that gives even lifeless hair a shot of volume that lasts for 24 hours.
5. Wear an easy up-do. If you plan on wearing a winter hat all day and still want the appearance of volume, fake it by wearing your hair up. Try this: Brush hair into a ponytail high up on your head, and secure into place with an elastic. Braid the ponytail and circle it into a bun, pinning as you work your way around the base. Finish with Lock It Bold Control Hairspray for hold. Putting on and taking off a hat may give it a texture that looks more lived-in—which is only even more on trend. So set it and forget about it as you head off into your day!
Big hair doesn’t have to just be a seasonal trend. By using L’Oréal Paris Volume Filler products this winter, you can stay warm and snug in your favorite hats and still rock hair filled with beautiful body.
*Feels like 2 times more hair based on a consumer test of shampoo and conditioner.